iMac freezing opening itunes.. Dads computer, i converted him.. he gonna kill me

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thecritix, Aug 9, 2008.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

Hi Guys
    I'm a regular user, and a Mac lover (have a macbook iphone etc) i have good knowledge but can't work out whats wrong with my Dads iMac.
    Brand new biggest one 3.06ghz, keeps freezing etc requiring restart.
    Software all up to date, does things like he goes to open itunes and the blue dot appears under it, but nothing happens, and even when I try to force quit it, it won't shut! I think he also mentioned that the time locks at the point it froze.

(Note, not just itunes, other applications as well)
    Please help with advice or suggestions on what to do he's about ready to kill me.

Nick

2. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

3. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

iTunes is running on an external HDD, could this be the reason?

It doesn't explain why I can't force quit though.

Really wish I was bringing my parents in on Tiger rather than Leopard, its embarrassing having promised such reliability etc..

Nick

4. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

it could be that itunes is running in an external hdd, you could try coping it over onto the mac's hdd

5. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

I've had a similar issue, i resolved it by reinstalling itunes completely, use an application like app cleaner (the trial gives you some free use, so no worry about buying it for a single use), to properly delete it you might have to force quit some of itunes background processes as well.

You should be able to back up your library files though.

Of course, you could try just reinstalling itunes without removing it first, but i'm not sure if it'll work.

-

I don't want to pick at things too much, but i can't be the only one getting a little annoyed that people are bringing software issues in here just because the software happens to be on a certain piece of hardware...

6. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

This happened to me but all I did was update the software, set everything up and restart it a few times and it was fine. Are you trying to copy anything to iTunes or just opening it it freezes? Worst comes to worst, just get Tiger.