iMac freezing with strange screen patterns

Discussion in 'iMac' started by graphicimage, Aug 18, 2013.

1. graphicimage macrumors newbie

iMac 2.93 Core 2 Duo / 10.6.8

I have a continuing issue with the screen freezing up in the middle of random activities at random times but it feels like once you get into something for about half an hour or so it happens most. Only option is to hold button down and restart.

I thought it was the wireless mouse and keyboard because, oddly, the pointer still move after a freeze but nothing was selectable. I put the wired keyboard and mouse back on and thought that fixed it but the problem is back and the mouse does not move in a freeze.

The thing that is most odd was the random patterning seen on the screen... it sort of jumbled around like one of those sliding square puzzles ... lines, pixilation, full panels of graphics shuffling... sometimes just plain frozen with no fun effects.

Anyone hear about this and know how to fix?

Thanks!

2. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

Sounds like it could be the graphics card, what year model have you got ?

3. graphicimage thread starter macrumors newbie

2009 - 27" Display.

I assume it is too based on the strange screen effects plus I just saw a post in this blog regarding a 2012 vid card recall of some kind ( from yesterday ) the photo looked just like my screen does once in a while. I guess mine is too old to be covered. Do you know if it's easy to replace these yourself and are they cost effective?