iMac freezing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by uplusd, Apr 9, 2009.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Lately my iMac has been having trouble. Sometimes when I right click on an icon in the dock to bring up the menu, the dock will just freeze. I can do other things but the dock remains frozen. If I open terminal (through spotlight) and issue a killall Dock command it will get rid of the Dock but not relaunch it. I've had to resort to holding the power button down and restarting the computer.

Any ideas?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Repaired permissions, checked to logs to see why the dock is crashing?

Which big update did you install last time for the OS, the one in Software Update or the standalone Combo Update?

3. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I have repaired permissions and no errors show up in Console. I installed the Combo Update last time.

4. mohgden macrumors newbie

sounds like you might have a corrupt driver somewhere, or maybe your RAM isnt seated correctly. Usually if you take it to Genius bar, they can help.

I had the same problem that was being caused by my Mbox2.

Ended up doing a reinstall of Leopard and that fixed it.

5. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

What else can I try besides repairing permissions? Is resetting the PRAM worth a shot?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re-seat RAM ...

Turning off all login items and make sure that a driver for a USB/Firewire device isn't causing problems -- unplug em.

Also creating a new user to see if the problem follows, if it doesn't, then it is a problem with the user account -- might be a preference file or app you are running.

Check all apps, since we have people complaining that their Mac sucks even after a drive wipe and running a base Mac OS X install -- yet they immediately reinstall Norton and a printer driver and leave that part out.

---

Looking at the logs, and thinking outside the box like blaming 3rd party mouse drivers or hacks can be a key. Though if you do a safe boot and the problem isn't there, that is also a sign much like checking a new user.

If it is happening in stacks, it might be a single corrupt file/font causing issues with the quicklook feature.

7. dirt farmer macrumors 6502