Imac from PCWorld UK-has password before set-up!?!? can't access it - need help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RunnyCustard, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RunnyCustard macrumors member

RunnyCustard

Hi

A friend brought an iMac from pc world a year ago (it's been in storage) and I'm setting it up for her.
    it's all plugged in and when I turned it on it came up with a vista page asking for a password that uses the store number - we entered the appropriate store number but it didn't work - we tried several other options... ie the usual types ie: password, customer number, order number etc but nothing.
    the reset password option asks for a password reset disc but we don't have this - I'm assuming that PC world tech guys have that (?)

The imac came with no discs or paperwork at all so we don't even have the restore CDs.

I would like to know if there is a way to bypass this screen? I tried safe mode but still got the password screen.

we might have to go to pcworld to ask them to sort it but as they can be a right pain I'm trying to see if anyone else has had this problem and what did they do to solve it.

I've never seen this sort of thing from PC world and I have brought PC's and macs from them before and so have friends - this is a first for seeing a password just to get into the computer/set-up!

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    :eek:

2. WhiteNoiseMaker macrumors regular

WhiteNoiseMaker

It sounds like they've installed Vista in Boot Camp and that's set as the start-up disc. Try pressing alt while booting and it should let you select the Mac OS hopefully that won't have a password on it too (very unlikely though!).

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It came with no disks or manual? :confused:

Very curious…

Is this legit? or… ;)

And if it is legit then get on to PC World…

Something isn't right.

4. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

I'll pass this on to get her to try pressing alt - I'm not with her now as I had to go back to work.

I have a feeling that she didn't ask for windows/bootcamp to be added when she brought it... I was thinking that it's just pc worlds own security/password software which is why it says vista rather than having a dual os system!

I have to check with her to confirm that though.
    thanks for your help - fingers crossed this works

5. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

it is legit yes... brought new and delivered by PC world to her house!!

we were hoping to avoid going to the actual store as they can be a pain and I've had trouble with the tech guys there... I think it might depend on the store who works there but I'm assuming it would be best to go to the one that it was brought from originally.

it just weird to have this password on there - just never seen that before - what a pain!!!
    :confused:

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And inside the sealed carton there were no disks?
    I'd get on to Apple as well…

Maybe worth a look inside the box again? :)

7. jamin100 macrumors 6502

If it has vista on it then its not brand new . .
    Its either pre-owned or a store display model.

I've never seen mac come with windows pre-installed!!!

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's either an ex-demo machine or one that's been nicked.

I bought an ex-demo PC from them in the Xmas sale which still had the store password. I just took it back and they restored the PC to factory settings and burned me a copy of the restore disk while I waited.

They also gave the salesman a bollocking for letting it leave the store without it being wiped clean. :D

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Try 'dsg' or 'pcw' as the password. With different variants of capitals if no luck.

10. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

11. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I work for the Techguys call centre (please no torrent of abuse my way lol), usually the stores sent the branch code as the password, but sounds like you tried that (4 digit number starting with 4 or 07?), it's very weird it has Vista on there though, usually for display models they will use the normal O/S and not add to it.

Did she buy it from the business section of PCW? They sometimes do dual boot machines.

If it's over it's guarantee period then you may be out of luck as stores don't tend to be too helpful to OOW customers.

Also curious as to whether they've installed a RTM version or OEM, you mentioned about Safe Mode, when you did F8 for Advanced Boot Options did you get Repair Your Computer as an option?

12. iBecks macrumors 6502

I wouldn't have admitted who I worked for on here ;)

13. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

lol, brave to admit that :D
    (I did a temp job for the poll tax office once and we had to tell people we worked for Marks & spencers just to avoid all the abuse we would get! wouldn't mind but we only did some filing and sorting!!)

she finally made it through the password segment. it did have the PCW letters then the numbers BUT the numbers weren't the store number that the help line quoted or the ones found on the receipt!!!! my friend just got annoyed and entered random numbers... and it worked... how weird!

it doesn't actually have windows on there... think it's just some kind of security wrapper that was created in vista perhaps????? I've never seen this before so I have no idea.

so thankful that we manage to get past that bit - at least we can sort out her settings etc now without having to visit pc world!

Thanks for your help guys :)

I just hope PC world don't do this to all new computers - what a pain!

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My iMac and MacBook Pro were both from PC World and came with exactly the same set up as if they were bought direct from Apple.

Except from the fact they were £200 & £550 cheaper than from Apple :D

15. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

That's really weird how they did that with the wrapper, not heard of that. Glad you got it sorted though :D

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Probably an ex-display model.

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Insert any Windows or OS X CD/DVD, format hard drive, start again.