iMac from USA to UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hovitos-way, Nov 26, 2007.

1. hovitos-way macrumors member

Hi, I am a british student studying in America for a while and need(!!!) a Mac. I really don't like laptops too much and have always been a fan of desktop computers. Even when I have had a laptop, more than 90% of the time it stays on my desk plugged in to the power supply. Therefore I have decided to go for an iMac. I have also thought that I might as well go all the way and get the 24 inch, 2.8GHz. I have a couple of queries however. The first is probably easy to answer: Will there be a new version of the iMac coming soon (the next 3-6 months)? I am guessing that there won't be as, if I am correct, there was an update fairly recently. The second query is a bit more of a problem. The one time I will be moving with my computer is when I travel back to the UK. How would you recommend I get it back to England. I guess that I won't have to pay any tax for it when I do come back to the UK as I would have been using it a fair bit before I go back, and I am a student here on a student visa so I guess (hope) there won't be any extra charges for it when I get back. Also, the 24 inch cant exactly be taken as hand luggage (I looked at the iLugger, but checked baggage allowances and the iLugger is still to large). Therefore, should I put it in my suitcase and risk damage and maybe even theft, or should I post it home by courier and face the extra costs. Also, does anyone have a ball park figure for what a company like fed-ex/ups/etc... would charge to carry an iMac from the USA to the UK. I should be saving around $700 by buying it here so as long as it isn't TOOO much I probably won't mind.

Thanks,

Hovito :)apple: noob)

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'd get a hard-shell suitcase and pack it in there, with lots of padding. (Clothes!) I believe you can remove the stand which will make it more compact.

And no, don't expect any upgrades in the near future. I had the Core Duo iMac earlier this year and I couldn't fault it, the line's seen two revisions since so you won't even care when the model next sees an update. :)

3. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

Excellent. I didn't realise that the stand was detachable:D.
    Does anyone have the weight and dimensions for the imac 24inch when in its box?
    Also, could anyone confirm my worries about being taxed or not.

Thanks in advance

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

coming from someone who hates laptops, buy a laptop...

5. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

I don't see the point as i will only be transporting it ONCE!

The premium of buying a portable computer for travelling with it once surely isn't worth it...is it:confused:

6. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Shipping etc.

1. Sorry mate but a 24" imac will not fit in your luggage. Way to big, and you would only gain about 2 3/4 inches in less height by removing the stand, (20 x 28 is the largest sized luggage allowed in planes now!)
    2. Weight when boxed is about 35-38 lbs!
    3. Box Dimensions: 25" H x 27" W x 10" D / Double boxed

Not sure if you'd be taxed or not, would suggest you check on customs requirements.

7. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Although you say that you don't like laptops, I'd seriously reconsider one. Why not a MacBook + a 23" Monitor + a keyboard and mouse? Just because you use it as a desktop 90% of the time doesn't mean it won't be incredibly handy for the remaining 10%.

8. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the suggestion. I need my computer to have a lot of power. Hence the 2.8GHz iMac. I don't think a Macbook would suffice.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The 2.4GHz MacBook Pro is $200 more than the 2.8GHz iMac. Not quite comparable but worth thinking about for an easier life :D

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I almost went through the same ordeal and it was so much hassle to try and get a imac back with me it wasn't worth it at all, a laptop really was the only choice i had... which I backed out of and decided to buy a imac at home (UK)

You risk completely breaking an imac before you even get to the uk where as a laptop you can take on the plane with you...

Still it's your choice/risk in the end but I think for a $1200 - $2300 machine it really isn't worth risking breaking it before you get home...

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It ought to be mentioned on top of everything else that I believe the iMac warranty isn't international like the laptops.

As the other people are inferring or saying, buy the iMac in the UK or pick up a Macbook Pro in the US and a Dell 2407WFP in the UK if you need 24".

12. eratoR21 macrumors newbie

Is the imac that fragile? Because am considering buying it from the US and shipping it with USPS to Greece. I believe that the net weight is 20 pounds and will all the extras in the box the gross weight could go up to 30pounds and that is around 150 US dollars to ship to Greece. I guess to ship with USPS to the UK will be even less than that.

13. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

iMacs aren't fragile at all. the box makes incredible use of space and is padded well.

14. mpw Guest

You may be due to pay VAT @17.5% of purchase price, which if you don't have a receipt HMR&C will assume for you:rolleyes: You're more likely to be caught trying to sneak in the Green Channel at customs if you're carrying in the original box, but if you're gonna be in the US for more than 6months it'll probably not be eligible for tax anyway :) also you might find that as a student studying abroad your purchases could go untaxed too, check with HMR&C!

Also as has been said your warranty will be US only on a desktop.

15. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

Update!

So...my WINDOWS laptop died last night. hard drive failure!! :eek:

I have been looking at Apple iMac costs with my education discount and then factored in the $250 fedex will charge me to ship it to england and also the tax I will be charged over here (7%). It turns out that I will save all of £25 (if my calculations are correct). I am guessing that with the "Black Friday" sale I would save more than that £25.

Therefore I think I will buy it from the UK. Do you think this is the best option for me regarding warranty and costs all factored in.

:confused:

Hovito

16. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Have you thought about selling the machine before you return to the UK and just taking an external drive, with all your data on it, back home?

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes. If you had to buy an iMac that is.

However if you're spending a while in the US and then returning to the UK, then for logistical reasons a Macbook Pro does seem to make a lot more sense. Get it in the US, buy a large screen on Craigslist maybe, sell it when you go, take the laptop back with you and get a large screen in the UK.

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sesshi is right about the international warranty, the laptops i think do have it, where the imac, if you buy it in the USA ship it home, it then dies 3 months down the line for whatever reason, that warranty isn't valid.

Buy from the UK, you may save £25 but it's not worth the hassle, it's nothing compared to the ease you'll get of buying from home.

19. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

That was what the way I was thinking of going. I am back home for xmas should I order one then and not be able to use it until I return form the US next summer, or wait until next summer to get one. Will there be a new one around then do you think.

Also, is there any differences between the US version of the iMac and the British version (apart from the keyboard layout)?

Thanks