iMac fusion partition issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zellio, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Hey, I seem to have an issue with merging fusion partitions. I got a crucial m500 480 gb drive for my main OSX drive, it works perfectly, normal 500 read/400 write, this gets 380 read/340 write.

But I have a big issue with fusion. I wanted to delete my 3tb drive and make it fully windows, but instead disk utility is stuck with 3 partitions in the sizes of 574.16 gb, 1.62 tb, and 801.44 gb, and it says the full size of the fusion drive is not available for repartitioning. Alright, well I'd prefer most of it.

How exactly do I fix this?

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

I take it that you used Disk Utility to erase partitions? If so, that’s what’s caused the problem and it sounds like the one I had – basically, I erased one accidentally (when I was far too tired to be doing such things – i.e. I was being an idiot). In a nutshell, Disk Utility doesn’t completely support Apple's Core Storage technology, which the fusion drive uses.

For what you want to do (i.e. just use the drive for Windows), I think the simplest thing would be to spilt the drive via the terminal – there’s instructions online. This will leave you with the SSD and regular hard drive as separate drives, which you can use as you wish.

You could rebuild the fusion drive, which again would be via the terminal (to do this, you would need to split the drive first). I took mine to an Apple Store and it took several days for them to restore it – ‘it’s a real head scratcher’.