iMac FW400 and FW800 Question Concerning FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by divedude, Aug 14, 2007.

1. divedude macrumors member

divedude

I am going to try this here, since I got no responses on the iMac hardware thread.

I am trying to decide if the new iMac will work for editing HD. My plan would be to capture via the FW400 port from my HD camera and place the files on a FW800 RAID array attached to the FW800 port. I would be using FCP running on the internal drive. I am looking at the 2.8 CPU with 4 GB of memory. Early next year I want to burn Blu-ray attached to the FW400.

The questions is, will this work without bus contention.

2. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

From the specs I've read, the firewire ports are now separated. On the old 24" iMac, and on the MBP they shared 8W between the FW800 and FW400. The specs now say there is 7W for each port. There are also reports out there that say that running a FW400 device concurrent with a FW800 device doesn't slow down the speed of the FW800 (again, unlike the old 24" iMac).

I'll search for a link to those discussions and post it here.

Edit: Here's the link to the discussion, over at discussions.apple.com About half way down the page, user Eridium gives results while having both a FW800 G-Drive, and a FW400 LaCie connected simultaniously.

3. divedude thread starter macrumors member

divedude