iMac G3 2002 model won't install OS!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacintoshMaster, Jul 27, 2010.

1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

He there,
    I bought a white 600Mhz iMac (Which was originally purchased from John Lewis for £899) And it had 10.3 which was nice but I thought that I would try the original iMac G3 cd's that came with it which where os 10.1 as I thought it would be faster... Anyway, it was slower - so slow it was impossible. I have a copy of the Universal panther CD and it comes up on the computer and I click restart to install (Something like that) and then it restarts, spits the CD out and then boots into OS 10.1. I have even tried Tiger. It worked on my other iMac (the blue one) but not this one... Please could you tell me whats wrong!

Thanks,
    John.

2. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

try Turing it on while holding the alt key then put the cd in and press the refresh button and see if the cd shows up

3. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

How do you mean? I turn the computer on holding the alt key... then what is the refresh button?

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Your Panther copy is non bootable. Could be improperly burned. CD drive appears to be OK, because it's able to read disc (as you wrote).

5. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

How do you mean by the CD is not bootable? The same CD worked on the imac g3 350mhz and the eMac 1.2Ghz.

6. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

i mean turn the computer on while holding the alt key, it will show a boot selection screen, when you see this screen put your cd in, now press the button that looks somewhat like the refresh button in your browser

7. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I've just done that but it still ejects the CD...

8. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Problem Solved!

I HAVE JUST TRIED THIS AGAIN AND IT WORKS!!!!! THANKYOU SO MUCH YOUR AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!:apple::apple::apple::D:cool::):eek::):):):):):):):):)

9. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

happy that i could help you