iMac G3, 333, OS 8.6 - Upgrade Q's

Done-on-a-Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Ok, so I have done a bit searching on the internet for info on this machine but created more questions in the process.

I have seen that this computer can be upgraded to 512Mb ram. I read that it has 2 ram slots. But I can only find 1 ram slot. It has a 256mb ram stick in it but my iMac reads 286. It says there is another 32mb stick somewhere but where is it located?

Also, if I upgrade from OS 8.6 to 10.3 is there anything special I need to install first to upgrade? When I have tried to upgrade the OS from 8.6 to 10.3 I get the blinking folder icon for a few seconds then it starts up in 8.6.

One more thing. What type of HD do I need to install? I know it is a laptop HD in size, but can I go get any ole' HD from CompUSA(excluding SATA) & install it? I know about the 120gb size limit for HD's but I won't go over that since this machine will have limited abilities anyway.

Where would I be able to still buy the PC66 SO-DIMM ram? And if I need to get a special HD what type & where could I find one?

I just got handed this machine & want to make it an internet/word processor/music machine. It came with the keyboard but no mouse.

Spec:
iMac G3 (Rev. - ???) Does anyone know the Rev. #?
333 Mhz
286Mb Ram
6Mb Video
CD-Tray
Lime

- Scott

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
Ok, so I have done a bit searching on the internet for info on this machine but created more questions in the process.

I have seen that this computer can be upgraded to 512Mb ram. I read that it has 2 ram slots. But I can only find 1 ram slot. It has a 256mb ram stick in it but my iMac reads 286. It says there is another 32mb stick somewhere but where is it located?

Also, if I upgrade from OS 8.6 to 10.3 is there anything special I need to install first to upgrade? When I have tried to upgrade the OS from 8.6 to 10.3 I get the blinking folder icon for a few seconds then it starts up in 8.6.

One more thing. What type of HD do I need to install? I know it is a laptop HD in size, but can I go get any ole' HD from CompUSA(excluding SATA) & install it? I know about the 120gb size limit for HD's but I won't go over that since this machine will have limited abilities anyway.

Where would I be able to still buy the PC66 SO-DIMM ram? And if I need to get a special HD what type & where could I find one?

I just got handed this machine & want to make it an internet/word processor/music machine. It came with the keyboard but no mouse.

Spec:
iMac G3 (Rev. - ???) Does anyone know the Rev. #?
333 Mhz
286Mb Ram
6Mb Video
CD-Tray
Lime

- Scott
it looks like it has a 32 MB ram stick soldered in the first slot, leaving one open for upgrading. If true, you're maxed out at 286 with a 256 in it right now

you might need to install 9.1 first, before going to 10.3. I had this problem on my original 500 MHz iBook when I tried to do a clean install with 10.2

I think any ATA drive will work, provided it is under 120 like you said.

Done-on-a-Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Thank you for your help! It just want to give this little green iMac a few more years of life. Thanks again!

- Scott

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
http://www.welovemacs.com/apple-memory-imac-imac-333mhz--tray-loading-cdrom-.html (link to installation instructions in there)

One more thing. What type of HD do I need to install? I know it is a laptop HD in size
It's a standard 3.5" IDE hard drive.

Where would I be able to still buy the PC66 SO-DIMM ram?
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac-G3-G4-G5/G3-266MHz-333MHz/

Some helpful links:

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-d.shtml

http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=imacrevd&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC