iMac G3 400MHz will not turn on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ibookos9, Jun 19, 2010.

1. ibookos9 macrumors member

ibookos9

whenever i press the power button nothing happens i know the power button has a spring behind it but when i press it it feels like it just goes back farther into the computer and thats what it looks like it did. I don't have the keyboard to turn it on with (that came with the computer) the power cord it plugged into a good outlet and into the back of the computer correctly. I don't know what to do about this old imac help please! also i don't want to take it apart because im not very good at doing things like that. Is there some other way to turn it on other than the power button on the front??

2. peakchua macrumors regular

call applecare and tell them your problem, theyll be able to diagnose it. if they do and say its a problem with the power button, then you should be able to find the keyboard on the net.

3. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

The techs at Applecare will laugh in your face if you ask about an iMac G3. Just so you know....

But in all seriousness, i would try to figure out what happened to the main power button, and see if it can be easily remedied. DO NOT TAKE THESE APART YOURSELF though, if you have even the slightest bit of hesitation about tearing machines open. G3s contain Cathode Ray Tubes that hold a lot of electricity in capacitors, and if touched could seriously injure you. So if it requires internal work, get a handy friend to help you out, preferably a very tech savvy one!

If you can't discern what seems to be the issue, I would recommend either finding a power-button-capable keyboard somewhere cheap, or trying the reset button perhaps? (little triangular shaped one near the ports on the side). The support for these machines is dwindling quickly, so this may be a lost cause without the keyboard. If you can get it on soon, i recommend sleeping it instead of powering off if it contains useful information. It's too risky to power it off with no guarantee of it turning back on!

4. ibookos9 thread starter macrumors member

ibookos9

So if i plug it in and press the reset button that will turn it on?

5. littledigger macrumors regular

littledigger

This might be a personal question, but why do you still use a machine thats so old, what do you use it for?

6. ibookos9 thread starter macrumors member

ibookos9

I only use it to play music in itunes because of how good the speakers sound sometimes i mess around in apple works and that's about it. It's not like it's my only computer i have a compaq laptop with windows 7 and 4GB ram from 2010 and a Gateway from 2006 which was a high end computer when back then those are my main computers i also have an iMac G4 which i use for nothing at all.