iMac G3 600MhZ and Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DeathCube, May 6, 2010.

1. DeathCube macrumors newbie

Hi to everyone.
    This is my first post here, so be very patient with me :D
    I found, on a local "used hifi store" a cheap imac g3, it has 600Mhz, 768MB RAM, and it has Tiger on it.
    it costs 75$.
    Do you people thinks that's a good deal? i'm thinking about buying another mac than mine, and i'm asking you if this imac was good for my purposes.

I wanna use it for my musical projects, a station to record, mix, and develop my songs. My MacBook is full of these things, and i want to take the projects and put them on a new terminal.

I've Leopard, iLife '08 and Logic Pro at home (too many money :eek: ) can this iMac run this os and its apps? O i have to increase the RAM or somewhat?

It's a good deal or not? :p

thanks for the replies, and sorry for my rusty english...
    :apple:

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

1. That isn't exactly a terrible deal, but better can be had. I recently got myself a 600MHz iMac for $20.

2. It won't run Leopard. Leopard requires at least a G4 - there's no way to hack it.

3. If you're looking to do content creation and use applications like Logic Pro, you're going to be sorely disappointed by the iMac. It would be great as an internet terminal or basic productivity, but for intensive things, you're going to find it to be a slow, miserable experience.

3. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

The G3 is ok for email, word processing and very light web surfing, nothing with flash however as it will be unusable. Forget iLife 08, Logic Pro and pretty much most modern software as there's not a hope in hell that it'll work in any acceptable way. Tiger is the highest this Mac will go so Leopard is out too but $75 is WAAAAY to much. You can usually get the old G3 iMacs on Freecycle in the UK and the ones on ebay tend to go for the equivalent of about $8-10.

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

thats not quiet true it as far as for the price it all depends on the condition , i am still willing to pay up to £100 for a immaculate iMac g3 summer 2001 model (600/700mhz)
    and as for flash my iMac g3 have no problem whatsoever with flash , i watch youtube (not fullscreen) i even pay these Facebook games which are flash games on it
    i use final cut on and they do the job , i just dont care how long it takes
    ok a imac 27"i7 is faster i have to admit ,
    but for a computer thats nearly or already a dekade old they perform really well
    its all down to what you expect in terms of performance
    but it wont handle leopard as no g4 processor

but as you mentioned you want to buy a second mac soon ..get a mini G4 look for the 1.42 or 1.5 models they will handle leopard well and flash (up to 360p but no HD)

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

thats not quiet true , as far as for the price it all depends on the condition , i am still willing to pay up to £100 for a immaculate iMac g3 summer 2001 model (700mhz)
    and as for flash my iMac g3 have no problem whatsoever with flash , i watch youtube (not fullscreen) i even play these Facebook games (mafia wars, war metal)which are flash games on without fuss

ok a imac 27"i7 is faster i have to admit ,
    but for a computer thats nearly or already a dekade old they perform really well
    its all down to what you expect in terms of performance

but it wont handle leopard as no g4 processor
    but as you mentioned you want to buy a second mac soon ..get a mini G4 look for the 1.42 or 1.5 models they will handle leopard well and flash(no HD youtube videos ,max 360p)
    (post written on iMac g3 700mhz 768mb ram and even quieter then a mini :) )

6. DeathCube thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks for your advices.. so i have to look at least a g4 mac..
    hope i can find it for a low price :D

7. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

There used to be an app called xpostfacto or something which allowed you to install unsupported OS's on older hardware. Personally I wouldn't bother, I'd get a G4 iMac -the experience would be better

pac

8. DeathCube thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i think it would be too slow on a g3, considering all the opinions..

9. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

if the g3 iMac is in really good condition i would get it anyway , its the iMac that saved apple from going bankrupt , so the g3 iMacs had a vital role in apple history , and for the bedroom they are ideal , they have no fan , so run really quiet , and for a bit of surfing or listening itunes perfect :)
    and get a mini as main computer , the G4 minis (1.42/1.5 )are cheap too now and offer all you really need , the intel minis make not much of a difference in price , at least here in the uk where you only safe about £150 for a single core 1.5 intel compared to a brandnew one