iMac G3 600MHz slowed down to nothin'

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacintoshMaster, Aug 16, 2010.

1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

My iMac G3 as 1GB ram and 600Mhz running 10.4 and it as slowed down to nothing. It is so slow it takes about 8 mins to start, so I installed the system again but that didn't help. It is so slow it's insane! PLEASE HELP!

2. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Sounds like a dying hard drive to me. Replace it, but make sure it is under 128 GB, as this iMac can only recognize up to that.

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You can even install 2TB hard drives, but you can't use more then 128GB.

Get one of these and keep working.

If you've got a spare SATA hard drive (or want to spend +$10 for a 500GB hard drive to use in later machines), there's an Adapter for that.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

+1 on the dying drive. I'm guessing you still have the original 40GB drive in there that came with it, so its quite old anyways. New drives are much better, and you should see a big increase in performance over the old one so this is a great excuse to upgrade.

5. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

Like the others have stated here, I would try a new HD. Do you see the spinning "beachball" quite a bit? Also, do you hear a lot of "clicking" when the HD is being used? Just curious.

6. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I see the spinning beach ball all the time - I'm not sure about the clicking...

Thanks dude! So can you guarantee that that one will work?
    Thanks!
    John.

7. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly