iMac G3 700 logic board on iMac DV+ 450

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Moo-Boo, May 19, 2009.

1. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Greetings my fellow Mac masters (and mistresses!),

As the title above says, I was wondering if an iMac G3 700MHz logic board can be grafted onto an iMac DV+ 450. I know that the ports are identical as is most of the hardware. I was talking to a bloke that said he tried grafting the same board onto a 350MHz slot load machine, but it wouldn't even start up. I asked if it was the lack of a FireWire port, but that had nothing to do with it. The iMac DV+ 450 was a later model (this one comes with a DVD-ROM, very nice indeed) and I was hoping to increase its speed. But...can it be done?

Thank you so much for your input and your sage advice, which is invaluable as always!

Matt and the cat

2. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

why not use the 700MHz machine? it would be a whole lot easier.
    SG :apple:

3. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

That's a good question, I should have clarified that I am being given an iMac 700MHz logic board, not the whole machine. Otherwise, definitely, I would use that machine in a heartbeat!

Matt and the cat

4. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

That makes more sense. Sorry to say I have no idea, but it sure would be cool to have a 700MHz bondi-blue iMac:D
    SG :apple:

5. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Actually, it will be ruby, but yeah, it will be definitely cool! I was allowed to borrow one for a time a few years ago, and it was wonderful to use, even if it was only 450MHz. But 700MHz will make it scream.

Matt and the cat

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The only thing that might prevent this working is if the ROM on the 700Mhz looks for extra custom chips Apple might have added. Try it, and tell us if it works.

7. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Well there are really only two sections inside the iMac g3 - the motherboard and the PSU unit. What you really need to find out if the PSU unit from the 450mhz iMac will run the 700mhz motherboard. To that, I don't really know the answer.

8. California macrumors 68040

California

I think there was a difference in video ram

I think there was as difference in ram speed 100 to 133

Not sure about the power but be careful.

If it were me, I'd find an iMac 500mhz of the last generation to swap it out with. Nice find, though.

9. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

I'd like to thank you all very much for your advice, which seems to be to try it and see what happens, and report on the results, which I will endeavour to do.
    They are still great machines and have excellent speakers for their size, so may as well be used.

Look after yourselves and God bless,

Matt and the cat