imac g3 airport card troubles

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by brent0saurus, Apr 13, 2008.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

So a few months ago the airport card on my tangerine imac just stopped working. I took the card out and placed it back in hoping that would work, which did nothing. The wire on the card is attached(althought i can't see where that cable is going but it's definitely attached to something in the computer), it is definitely mounted right, and yet it won't work.
    Every once in a while after a restart, i would get wireless signal, but only for a few minutes. This made me think it was a software issue but didn't feel like reinstalling the os until now.
    SO yesterday i erased and installed, going from tiger(10.4.11?) to cheetah (10.0.4) but still no wireless internet. Also, something to note; during the install of cheetah when it asks you how you want to connect to the internet, the airport card option was greyed out.
    After all of that i tried taking out and putting in the airport card again with some luck this time! i had internet!! ...for 5 minutes. then it completely cut out.

WHAT IS GOING ON!?

also, i tried installing 10.1 after 10.0.4 with an upgrade disc and every time it says there was an error about halfway through the installation and i need to reinstall 10.0.4 as the kernel panic comes up after i restart.

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

you prolly need a new airport card
    it might be just shorting out
    i am sure that they are pretty cheap

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HA! Try over $100! The original Airport cards are a precious commodity!

4. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

yeah, they are super expensive... :( i might as well buy a imac g3 with an airport card. the cheapest i've found is around 60 dollars. any other suggestions?

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

lmfao i was just going to post that