iMac G3 and Power Mac G4 can't find hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Starfighter, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Starfighter, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Hello!
    This is the situation:
    I wanted to try out OS 9. I have two older macs (Power Mac G4 and iMac G3) and both were up to today running Tiger. I bought a new hard drive (120GB, IDE) and put it in the iMac together with an OS 9 install disc. Nothing happened, it refused to boot from the CD so I took the new hard drive to my Power Mac G4, made it a slave, formatted it and tried to install OS 9 directly to the second hard drive whilst still in Tiger. It worked like a charm and when I rebooted I had OS 9 in all it's glory.

The problem now is this:
    I can't for the life of me make my Power Mac G4 boot Tiger from my original hard drive where I kept Tiger intact with no OS 9 interference. The computer simply does not recognize the hard drive at all. It's the same with my iMac G3 now.

I have tried to upgrade my OS 9 to 9.2.2 and use Startup Disk - but it won't find any other hard drive than the one with OS 9.

I have tried to boot from a bootable Tiger disc (you know, I wanted to try and use Disc Utilities from there and put my OS X hard drive as startup disk) but neither the G4 nor the G3 boot in cd, they both just show me a gray screen for maybe 20 seconds and then either flashes the questionmark or boots up OS 9.

I have also tried to put only the hard drive with Tiger installed on it but then it also just can't find a startup disk.

What do I do to show my computers that the Tiger hard drive exists? I had a lot of stuff on that drive.

Edit: I have also tried to hold down the option-key while booting to get to the screen where I can choose startup disk. From there I see nothing special. It's just the refresh icon and a arrow button that doesn't do anything. I noted that before I saw a Tiger design on that screen, now I see the old school style - like it's OS 9.

2. Starfighter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Well, the problem fixed it self so no need for an answer!

I don't know why, but tonight the disc decided to be readable. I have a bought retail disc with absolutely no dust or scratches on it so I don't know why it was acting up, but after... maybe 6 hours all in all, of fruitless trying, my G4 allowed me to boot from CD and voila. The Tiger-drive was found.