iMac G3 and Samsung NSeries

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MriMacG3Guy, May 15, 2014.

1. MriMacG3Guy macrumors newbie

So here is my question
    I have a Samsung (N Series) and I get its Internet from the WiFi and I want to share the Internet to my iMac G3 (Early 2001 Indigo) and I only have an Ethernet cable
    Is this possible or do I have to buy a modem or something please reply and an answer with the use of only the Ethernet will be very helpful ^_^ :apple:

2. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I could be totally wrong on this, but your phone has to support tethering for it to work, even if you can find an adapter to connect your phone to your iMac's ethernet port.

Based on the year of your iMac, you can buy an Apple AirPort card (not AirPort Extreme) and install it, and that should work and allow you to connect to WiFi networks.

3. MriMacG3Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a Laptop not a phone dummy XD I want to hook up my iMac to the Samsung notebook so that I can use its browser and surf without any hassle that I have in my Windows 7 specially those annoying pop ups
    So any answers with the laptop cause its not a phone and I want answers for a laptop to an iMac G3

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Go to the Windows machine and open your network adapter settings. This is under the Network and Sharing Center in Windows 7. Hold the control key and select both your Wi-Fi card and your Ethernet adapter. Then right click and the option "Bridge Connections" should appear. Click it and let it run a couple of config changes.

After that simply plug the Ethernet cable from your PC to your iMac.

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

If all you want is to use the Windows machine's internet connection, follow Altemose's instructions.

If you want to use Windows 7's browser, you would probably have to set up Remote Desktop on Windows, download the Remote Desktop client for the Mac, and then connect to the Windows machine through that. This will allow you to control the Windows computer from your Mac as if you were sitting in front of it.

However, even if you could find a Remote Desktop client for a PowerPC Mac, it's a slow protocol in my experience. It's going to be incredibly slow on that iMac.

6. MriMacG3Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I've done that on my laptop but now what do I have to do with the G3
    Go to the Control Panel and select that Built-in Ethernet option or are there any extra work
    Please reply

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Make sure that the Ethernet indicator in System Preferences --> Network is green.

8. MriMacG3Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm kinda using Mac OS 9.1 so I kinda like have the "Control Panel", after that what do I have to do?
    PS:I don't have the "System Preferences" cuz its Mac OS 9.1:apple:

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I must have missed that part. Anyhow, if I remember correctly, go to the Apple in the top left and find the Network control panel.

10. MriMacG3Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks bro Helped alot for me
    Heck I'm posting this from my G3 while my Laptop is just standing there but making sure it doesn't go to Sleep
    And browsing from my iMac G3 is too comfortable rather than having headaches of annoying pop up ads and stuff
    Thanks bro hope you have a great day :apple:

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can disregard the warnings on the laptop about IP conflicts. Once you unhook the iMac and go portable with your Samsung they will go away. The most permanent solution is to get a wireless adapter or Ethernet bridge.

If you by chance have an old blue Linksys router or some older wireless router lying around you can make it a client and use it for Ethernet for your iMac.

For web browsing on OS 9 I recommend Classilla.

12. MriMacG3Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just one last favor
    How can I install Clasilla on my iMac?
    I kinda have the Sit file on my desktop but how can I install?
    I click on the .sit file and all it does is an "AT" named folder come
    Please I kinda a newbie on Mac OS 9

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll need to unstuff it with StuffIt Expander. You must unstuff it on Mac OS (X) or it'll loose it resource forks and turn into a regular unusable file instead of a runnable application.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You drag the Classilla SIT file onto the Stuffit Expander program. I may be wrong but I believe it was included in OS 9. I never got to play with OS 9 much since I am just 16. Perhaps someone else who has used it more often could explain better.

Essentially, on your desktop, you should see your hard drive. It is usually called "Macintosh HD". Double click it.

If OS X is installed on the drive as well, you want to click on Applications (Mac OS 9). If it is not installed, simply click Applications. There should be Stuffit Expander in there. Simply drag the Classilla SIT file onto the icon.

15. MriMacG3Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I do have the Stuffit Expander and have done it by dragging the .sit file to the Stuffit Expander icon by nothing happens. The all-the-time only the AT file comes
    Then I have to fill it in the Trash bin
    Any other options or do I have to restart the computer after this or get a new copy of the .sit file

----------

Lol you're 16!
    I'm only 12 XD

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try opening StuffIt Expander and see if in the File menu there is an option called "Open".