iMac G3 as DB-15 display for Macintosh Performa?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by redheeler, Mar 25, 2015.

1. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Can it be done? Internally the iMac G3 CRT uses a DB-15 connector (this is the one with the dead HDD), and I don't have a DB-15 display but really want to see my Macintosh Performa 6200CD in action.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes it's possible. But you must first get the CRT to power on without having the iMac logicboard trigger it on. I think it's the purple wire to ground turns in on. Performa 6200's aren't the most amazing machines to see in action. They're often considered one of the worst Macs ever made.

3. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

Can you be more specific as to which connector you're talking about?

How so?

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It might be wise to invest in a DB-15 to VGA adapter. The Apple made ones "just work" but are hard to find(the only one I have was packed in the accessory box with my B&W G3). The cheap ones with DIP switches will work, but often require some fiddling to get the adapter to work correctly.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think it's the connector that goes to the logicboard. Don't exactly remember which one. There are so many flaws with the 5200/6200 line. The logicboard's design is hampered by the different 8/16/32/64 bit speeds all being corrected computationally by the CPU, the flaky SCSI controller, poor video capabilities, congestion between the memory and the CPU. They're just a poor performing machine all around.

6. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

So there's no chance of it working as a display for the Performa with the logic board installed?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to completely disconnect the iMac's logicboard.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The logic board of the iMac doesn't have to be removed, it just has to be completely disconnected from the CRT and display circuitry.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I have a genuine DB-15 to VGA adapter... It's the transparent yellowish-beigeish whateverish color one. Are these rare?

10. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Not to my knowledge. I have 2 of them. Both of mine have switches to control the Resolution on the screen. Before i even got a beige Mac i recieved 2 of them gave one away and when i bought my Beige G3 it came with one too. NOt that rare..

11. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Switches? Mine doesn't have switches. It just has an apple logo.

I'm talking about this specific model of adapter. Of course in general they are all not rare but I'm talking about this one.

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I don't see too many of the Apple one(without switches)