iMac G3 ATA HDD in PowerMac G4 HDD bay?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Nov 7, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

I'm wondering if the ATA-3 HDD in my iMac G3 can boot a PowerMac G4(or if I can at least install it and instal OS X on it so that I can run OS X on the iMac afterwards. The imac is currently running OS 8.6 and I would really like to upgrade it. I have OS X panther upgrade CDs, but I'm pretty sure that you need to have OS X already on there to do so.

Any tips/advice out there?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You can take a Panther upgrade disc and change it to a full install disc pretty easily. First you need to make an image of the Read and Write DMG of the 1st install CD. Once you've made it, you'll need to find the file that checks for a previous install and delete it. Save the changes, and burn that image to a CD. There you have it, a clean install Panther CD. If you need more specifics on what you're looking for to delete, I'll have to get my set of discs so I can tell you where to look (it has been years since I made my set.)

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Really? So obviously I would have to do that for all three of the discs, right? I'll see if I can figure it out

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Nope, just disc #1 is all you have to modify because it is the only one that checks for a previous installation.

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Well that's good to know. I tried doing what you said earlier by making both the read/write dmg and also a dvd master through disk utility and I couldn't find the right file. I also tried showing all files and hidden files to see if that came up but it didn't so I actually have no idea what to do in order to get this done.