Imac G3 ATX PC mod

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Nov 6, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings guys!

I currently am the proud owner of a tangerine Imac G3 DV/400Mhz that has a gig of ram a DVD drive and 80Gb hard drive. I love it. But my second machine, an indigo 350Mhz, no firewire, 512mb/20Gb hard drive that isnt so fast and the screens coloring is weird.

So my thought was to maybe convert the Indigo one into a PC. I obviously need a nice 15inch LCD, from what ive researched a Dell of some kind is the best fit, a good way to cool the system, maybe a cheap LED strip haha. I have more then a few spare motherboards and PC's lying around ranging from Pentium 4 HT machines, to 2 early Core 2 Duo's that i use. I currently have my Tangerine on my desk but want to replace it with something i can connect to the net, do some research. Most important to me is keeping it almost silent and cool. I dont really want to modify the case outside much aside from the IO panel.

Ive built my fair share of PC's at work and have done some customizing but i am no craftsman or electrician. So i have a few concerns. By the way, i probably wont get to this until Christmas but i cannot stop thinking about this!

Firstly, im wondering how to mount both the LCD and the motherboard. Im assuming im going to need some custom stand offs. But have no idea how to mount them or anything.
    The next big thing is the dual speakers the imac has. I have no problem with soldering but have no idea how i would connect them to a say internal speaker plug or a 3.5mm. But i want to have the internal speakers working but have them override the connection once i plug in headphones.
    Another issue is the front DVD drive, will a PC replacement work?
    The last is how is the PSU and monitor connected to power using only one cord out to the wall like the original setup.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Personally, I wouldn't gut it. I suggest posting on tonymacx86, they do some really nice case mods and such there

3. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I don't like LCDs in iMac G3s they don't match the curve of the original CRT and make it look tacky what I recommend is if you cant Rewire the original CRT is find a nice compact 15 inch CRT screen and put that in the iMac G3 case. for a Modern computer to put in it I recommend a 2009 Mac mini (still supported nice and compact and uses a Slot loading DVD drive that will fit in place of the original) ill be honest i don't like Case Mods would be shame to gut the iMac G3 esp if it still works (for the speakers your going to need some amplifier for them)

4. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Well im debating back and forth. I might wait for something that is in worse condition. The thing is rather slow with only a 350MHz and no firewire makes transfering stuff more a pain in the butt. However i didnt know tonymac86 did that thanks!

5. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Lightbulbfun, I appreciate your imput! i love the idea, but i dont want to spend any money on this really. A CRT would be great as i love CRTS for their output better then LCD at times, but the idea im going for is a Core 2 Duo gamer maybe... I have a few machines to piece together from and dont really need another mac. The machine currently works but the screens colors are weird and software didnt fix it.

6. chip1 macrumors member

I've seen something you've mentioned in youtube. I hope it could help.

-chip