Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
Málaga
Just moved into a new flat. I have the imac G5 2ghz (20"), a 12" aluminium powerbook and an old and trusty imac G3 500mhz.

In this new flat the G3 imac picks up an open wireless network with all the bars full in the airport cone-thing at the top of the screen.
Neither the powerbook nor the imac G5 get any signal at all...none. Is this right?
In my last flat all 3 machines picked up my own wireless router fine.

Is it actually possible that this old dear with the original airport card is by far the best for wireless reception? Hard to believe apple could go backwards on this aspect with the new machines.....

Any thoughts?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I hate to say it,

but "Location, Location, Location" can make a huge difference in reception.

Where is your router, is it near any metal objects (Brick or Block walls can have interference causing Re-Bar), not mounted as high as the last flat, or is it near a wet wall ( a wall that would have pipes for heat or water pipes)?

Radio works similar to site, the less objects between your computer, and the router the better. While Radio does go through walls, and glass, it has a harder time going through metal objects. Other items like Electrical interference can cause problems as well. It may just be your 1 system just has better line of site (on top of less internal interference as mad jew stated).

Some tips on good WIFI reception.

1. Place the router in a central location in a room
2. ensure that the router is away from any metal objects that can block radio waves.
3. Ensure the router is away from electrical devices that create allot of RF noise (Radio Frequency).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.