iMac G3 Blank Drive Install Problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macman0910, Jul 17, 2010.

1. macman0910 macrumors newbie

I recently picked up an iMac G3 with a 600 MHz G3 Processor and a slot-loading CD-RW drive. It had 10.2.8 and 9.2.2 installed. I went into the startup disk menu in system preferences and tried to restart in 9.2.2 and be adventerous. But it would just flash a floppy disk with a ? mark. No matter what I did I could not get back to Mac OS X. I also have a MacBook with Tiger restore CDs. I tried to install that on there but could not and decided to see if it would work if I erased the drive. It did not. So now I have an iMac G3 with a blank hard drive and a Cd drive and a mind that is completely clueless about what to do! PLEASE help!

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

ouch. don't erase the disk when there's no install media...

well now you need the original restore cd set (not much chance) or a retail (not gray, and NOT upgrade) 10.3 or 10.4 set. as you only have a cd drive, you are stuck with looking for any 10.3 retail disk, or the legendary and hard to find 10.4 cd set (4 cds) as most of the retail 10.4 disks will be dvd which won't work without an external firewire DVD drive...

with a 600mhz system, i'd look for a retail 10.4 disk (dvd) and external FW dvd as you could install the os and have a fast burning setup after you get up and running. my two cents. best of luck.

3. macman0910 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also....

I also have a CD stuck in the drive. Any ideas?