iMac G3 boot from cd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roeiboot, Sep 17, 2009.

1. roeiboot macrumors regular

roeiboot

okay... here's the deal, i have a iMac G3 with OS 9.2 and in order to install iTunes (for use with my iPhone) i need OS X so i was told, well i have 2 OS X cd's.. for the last 45 minutes i have been trying every key combo found on the Internet and non let me start from cd, when i look in Startup Disk i only see iMac G3 and Network Disk, yet i know (pretty sure) the cd-rom drive work because when i try and open it it says it can't read the disk and only options are eject or initialize..

any one have any idea what i could do/try ?!

tks.

2. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I have a bad feeling about this, but here we go. . .

What version of OS X are you trying to install?

3. roeiboot thread starter macrumors regular

roeiboot

4. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

What does it say on it? And look closesly, its usually there in really really fine print.

5. roeiboot thread starter macrumors regular

roeiboot

it's either 10.2 or 10.3, does it effect booting ?

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You've got a G3 iMac that you want to use to sync an iPhone? Over USB 1.1? Syncing will take a week. Good luck with that.

At any rate, make sure your CD drive is working. Do other CDs mount in OS 9? Also, if your install discs don't have a version number then they're bootlegs and may be defective. All legit OS X install discs have a version number.

7. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

No it shouldn't affect booting, but the fact that it can't read the disk smacks of a higher version of OS X. Even so, I have to ask, doesn't iTunes require OS X 10.5 or 10.6 for iTunes 9?

Yes, as user above me pointed out USB 1.1 to sync is a bad idea. . . perhaps its time to consider moving to a more powerful computer?

8. roeiboot thread starter macrumors regular

roeiboot

I don't really need it to sync, I want to use it to Jail Break it (if I'm allowed to say that) JB is not yet possible on Windows..

9. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss that on here so I won't give any direct links without moderator permission, but I can tell you that google is your friend :)

10. roeiboot thread starter macrumors regular

roeiboot