Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Henry001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Hi guys,
I bought an imac G3, created a new admin account, and deleted the original admin account. Computer hangs with "init: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: No such file or directory"

I have a red OS9 CD, but the imac won't boot from the CD.

Tried option-ctrl-O-F, nvram-delete, [set-default hangs], and reset-all.

Any advice for me to try?

Thanks, Henry.

zaney

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
Middle of a field, UK
I recently got an iMac G3 too, although I can't say I've seen this problem. I've had a few times where it wouldn't boot from the cd, and it turned out that a harddrive I'd just installed was somehow conflicting with the CD drive.

Have you got a CD version of OS X to try booting from? Or even System 7, which I seem to recall is now available for free (not to install obviously, but just to check that it will boot).

EDIT: Looking at your error again, it says theres no such file as /bin/sh. Which, frankly, is a pretty serious problem if your shell has gone walkies. I can see why it would have gone though, just from changing accounts.

Henry001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Thanks Zaney. Based on my experience with PC's, I'm probably headed to a Mac service guy, as I can't figure how to boot from CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.