iMac G3 - can't install OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iwriter, Apr 24, 2008.

1. iwriter macrumors newbie

I picked up a green iMac G3 333mhz off eBay to play with. It came with both the original install disc for OS9, and the upgrade disc to OSX. However, the current install of OSX wouldn't boot (I get to a grey boot menu, but no commands will work), and I can't find a way to reinstall either OS.

If I boot to the OS9 CD, it tells me the firmware needs to be upgraded - which I can't do as I can't boot into OSX, and if I try it from the CD, I get an error message saying the drive is locked.

If I boot to the OSX upgrade CD, I'm told I can't install the OS as a previous version of the Mac OS doesn't exist.

My only other discs are my own copies of 10.4 and 10.5 - neither of which will work in the iMac.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

iWriter

2. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

You need to boot into OS 9 and get the firmware update via Software Update. Then follow the instructions for installation. Then you can install OS X. Make sure you upgrade the OS 9 to OS 9.2.2, or else the 'Classic' environment in OS X won't work.

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I run 10.4 on an iMac G3 700Mhz. Just make sure you have enough ram installed.
    Firmware upgrade should be possible in Os9 and is highly recommended if you want to run OsX.

4. iwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I just need to get an ethernet cable for the iMac to run Software Update. I presume I can run it after booting in via the CD.

I'm actually interested in running OS9 on it for a while as I have OSX on my other Macs, and fancy a bit of 'old school' computing!

5. iwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Potential dumb question - I've booted onto the OS9 CD, but I can't find Software Update. Where is it?

6. iwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I've discovered that software update should be in the control panels menu, but it isn't when I boot from the 9.2 CD.

Any other ideas for how I can get the firmware update? I've downloaded the file from the Apple site, but can't transfer it across as the CD drive is being used by the boot disc.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

to install the firmware update I think you have to boot up from a system on the HD, not from a CD

here's instructions link

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You need to install OS9.x first. Then after booting (from your hard drive) you can access Software Update. Thru software update download and install the firmware update.

If software update does not launch the firmware update, you can do it manually. It will be located in /Applications/Utilities. Launch it and follow the instructions.

Afterwards you can upgrade to OSX.

9. iwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

The iMac won't let me install OS9 as it says I need to update the firmware first (I know!), so I can't boot from the HD.

I've downloaded the firmware update I need and put in on a USB drive, but I keep getting a message saying it can't be run as the drive is locked - presumably because I've booted from the CD.

Any ideas or suggestions anyone?

10. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

This is a tough one.

See if you can get an earlier version of the software like 8.x (ebay?) and install that. It should be supported on your mac without that "need firmware update" message. Then you can apply the firmware update that is needed to support OS9.

I found this link where you can purchase (fairly cheaply OS8.x cds)

http://www.baucomcomputers.com/

Scroll down to the Software section.

11. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Do you have any other macs? You could take out the hard drive and install OS 9 with another mac. It sounds like your hard drive could have been toasted during shipping as well. The firmware update should be on the install CD. I know this isn't good but you could "get":cool: a retail 9.1 or 2 cd. and it should have the imac update software on it. You need to get to 9.1 to do a firmware upgrade for OSX too.

12. iwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, very naughty I know - but I've 'got' an .iso of OS 8.6 purely to load and give my upgrade to 10.1 something to see on the HD. Then I can install that and upgrade the firmware. I'll delete the copy of 8.6 after I've used it as a stepping stone.

However... I can't burn the .iso as a bootable disc, the iMac doesn't 'see' the disc when I hold down 'C' as I boot. Anyone know how I can burn a bootable disc?

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

That won't help you. 8.6 was an updater to 8.5 or 8.0. You need an original OS release cd to boot from. Check out the link I put in my previous post and you can see the actual retail release numbers.

14. iwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't think that the 333mhz came with OS9. I think it came with OS 8.6 and earlier, but not 9, so I doubt you have the original OS disk that originally shipped with the computer. What version of OS 9 is it you have? 9.2? You may need to install an earlier version or maybe even OS 8.6 first so you can do the firmware update and then upgrade

Check the link that merl1n gave for a source for these older OS disks