iMac G3 CD Tray Stuck Closed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AlexDemoted, Mar 17, 2012.

1. AlexDemoted macrumors newbie

Ok, so the old 1st Gen iMac G3s don't have disc trays. They have tray-less drives much similar to current iMacs. I'm guessing my iMac "thinks" there is a disc in there. The safety tabs are snapped towards the front to prevent another disc from being inserted but I am absolutely positive there is no disc in there. Is there a way to reset those safety tabs?

Extra info: Whenever I boot up the iMac it immediately runs through eject mode like it's trying to get rid of a disc. Then I guess it gives up after about 5 to 8 seconds. When the computer is off I can insert a disc into the drive but as I said as soon as I boot up the iMac it spits it out. I'm stumped. I've never been into disc drives. Too many springs and plastic moving parts =/ Yuck! Can anyone help me out?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The first G3 iMacs had a tray drive. The newer G3 iMacs have a slot loading drive. You'll have to disassemble the iMac then the drive to reset it.

3. AlexDemoted thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already disassembled it and I have removed the disc drive. I'm not looking forward to this =/ I feel I'm gonna **** something up. I hope there's a youtube video on how to do it or something...