iMac G3 collection.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mike Oxard, May 5, 2016.

1. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

2. mryingster macrumors regular

mryingster

Love it! Wish I could justify such a collection.

3. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I love this! I'm in the process of collecting all the colors (in both tray/slot varieties), but it's amazing he got them all so quickly!

4. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

So jealous! I am starting to collect iMac G3s as well, sad part is that in this shared house (still live with my parents), space is pretty much barely available, and iMacs are just quite large. When I, further down the line, leave and go find my own place, I'll make sure I'll have a nice place to display the iMac G3s and iBook Clamshells, which I'll keep collecting until I have all the colours :)

5. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

I have the Bondi iMac G3 sitting on my desk at home, even though I hardly ever turn it on, I still love it.

6. WalkerTexasRanger macrumors member

WalkerTexasRanger

I'm jealous for sure. I don't have any room for such a collection, but mine is growing slowly but surely. Going to be adding an eMac to mine soon.

7. three macrumors 6502a

three

I'm envious of the space that he has to collect all of these. The iMac G3 has a special place in my heart, I've got two of them and although I don't use them at all, they're so fun to look at. My machines are both slot loading, one a 350MHz Blueberry, and a 500 (or 600MHz) Snow. I've also got a eMac.

8. Mike Oxard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

I have a blue one, not sure what the name of the colour is, sitting in my garage. I'd like to get it into the house one day, along with the G4 which is still stunningly gorgeous.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I love seeing assembled/completed collections although I get nit-picky on subtypes. I don't see a non-FW slot loader, which is a but of an uncommon model but none the less one important sub-type. I do have one in Blueberry.

I've been slow working on my own collection, although initially I overlooked some and passed on several(including a Flower Power) due to lack of space. I'm kicking myself over the Flower Power-as hideous as I think they are, it is a tough color to find. I've slowly been working my way through tray loaders more recently-I bought a Rev. B Bondi about two months ago, and just last week bought a grape. I still need strawberry and orange in tray loaders, and I'd like a working Rev. A Bondi.

10. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

I'd love to know how many of each color there realistically *are* out there. How many Dalmatian iMacs remain after all these years, and being on sale all of six months?

Was sad my aunt got rid of the OG Bondi Blue that we had at my grandparents' house, in an ill-fated attempt to get them online. I'll never forget that as they brought the shipping box into the house, my grandfather took one look at it and said, "I hope that's not a damn computer."

Suffice it to say my cousins and I used it for games, and that was the extent of it. But great times were had!

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The funny thing was that when I first started collecting Macs, iMac G3s were pretty far down on my list of desirable computers. A lot of the reason for that was memories from high school, where we had a "Mac Lab" with 30 or so of the "five flavor" tray loaders with the stupid compact keyboard and those terrible puck mice(that I'm now working on finding in all the colors :) ) . I was a Windows guy at the time, and I hated them for the fact that everything seemed so "backwards" and they would crash if looked at cross-eyed. There was also a B&W G3 that I used some for the school newspaper, and it at least took some of the sour taste out of my mouth.

I was given my first two iMacs, a Rev. A Bondi and a late 500mhz Indigo. After getting into them, I realized that they really weren't all that bad and started appreciating how revolutionary they were at the time :) .

One of the things where, IMO, they really fall into their own is for running older "classic" games. I find a CRT advantageous for full screen games since many were 640x480. On an LCD, particularly the higher resolution widescreen ones in iMac G4s and Titanium Powerbooks(as well as LCD Cinema displays), you either have to deal with the game being a tiny window in the middle of the screen or looking like crap because you've scaled the resolution. A CRT is just as happy displaying 640x480 full screen. These make those old full screen games work just like I remember them.

12. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

Yep. Since I couldn't nab the G3 I ended up getting a 700MHz iMac G4 that can still boot into OS 9. Problem seems to be a lot of those LCDs took a beating and have visual artifacts. Environmental issues and bulk aside seems like the G3's have stood up to a lot and still look fine. Not to mention that even on the relative scale of iMacs, the G4 is kind of terrible to open up.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Tray load G3s aren't exactly a walk in the park and eMacs are horrendous(along with 12" Powerbooks and iBooks in any form) but the G4 isn't super easy. I have a 1.25 stuck back in the closet because I inadvertently ripped the display socket off the board.

I have an old British sports car, and any time I start planning a repair I start getting affected by "Might-as-well-itis." Basically, on the car if I'm going to expose or be in close proximity to a wear item, I'm going to replace it because I don't want to expend the effort to access that part again in the near future. I'm planning an engine/transmission pull in the month or two to replace the transmission, and have started assembling my parts order list(esp. a clutch and related parts) because they will be easy to change in the process but would require another engine pull to change when they gave out in the future.

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm mostly impressed he nabbed both a Blue Dalmatian and Flower Power. Those have gotten pretty scarce in recent years.

15. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

I've actually seen both once on Markplaats, our popular Dutch classifieds site. I know the Flower Power went for about €50, no idea what the Blue Dalmatian ended up on. If they weren't so far away, I'd have jumped on them. I wouldn't ship them, as IMNC had a FP iMac G3 send to him all busted up. Whereas eBay provides protection and feedback, Marktplaats is the wild west. Even though being owned by eBay.

16. Mike Oxard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

512pixels has added a new article on the launch of the iMac.
    http://512pixels.net/2016/05/imac-g3-introduction/

Remembering SJ's phrase "The back of this thing looks better than the front of the other guy's" made me wince when I saw the battery case Apple released for the iPhone 6/s. How times change!