iMac G3: Connecting to WiFi with WPA+PSK

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by newuser1, Sep 17, 2014.

1. newuser1 macrumors newbie

Hey there. I've got this old G3 iMac with a non-extreme AirPort card installed. It's also got Mac OS X 10.3.9 and the AirPort 3.3.1 software installed. Been trying to connect to my Motorola SBG6580 through both WPA+PSK and WPA2+PSK WiFi connections. But whenever I try to connect and enter my password (all letters, nothing else), I am told that there's an error in trying to connect. Is there a way to get this old machine with a normal AirPort card to connect to my WiFi? Also, I cannot enable WEP, and the SBG6580 was rented from an ISP and is blocked off.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I seem to believe that you need the latest copy of Tiger for WPA networks. I may be wrong however.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A fully updated installation of 10.3.9 can connect to a WPA network. Try setting your wireless to be only WPA. Also if it a b/g/n network, try setting it to just b/g. Some vendor's b/g/n network types can't be accessed by an original Airport card.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

You need 10.3.3 for WPA plus an Airport update. Try version 4.2.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL455

Worked first time for me with Panther and with both the original Airport plus third party wifi cards in my G3 notebooks.