Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mindingulove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
my old imac g3 333 rev a wont boot up, when i start from cd the apple logo shows but no spin circle. when i start from hd it wont recognize mac os 9.22!

i already did pram reset n nthg

thx

----------

edit: on phanter cd no spin circle
on jaguar cd strange lines
on mac os 9 n 8 cd grey screen

mindingulove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
well booted in firmware. my firmware is 3.0 i cant boot in cds or in the hd? is this the prob?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your logicboard isn't dead. You probably are not using any discs that are bootable, even if they seem to be bootable.

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Hard drive

Sounds like hard drive is corrupt or dying. Find and install cd and use disk repair to fix and reinstall. If that doesn't work it would need replacement.

mindingulove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Your logicboard isn't dead. You probably are not using any discs that are bootable, even if they seem to be bootable.

im sure they are bootable. ive used them previously and ive used then in my other mac they work. and the mac os 8 cd is the original one and so is the recovery, how come they are not bootable?

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Is it OS 8.5?

OS 8 should not be on the 333 it should be 8.5 with enabler or something newer. A dead hard drive will cause more draw on a weak analog board and seem to hang like you describe. It's a pretty likely cause due to its age. Might want to replace capacitors on the analog board if you open it up.

mindingulove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
OS 8 should not be on the 333 it should be 8.5 with enabler or something newer. A dead hard drive will cause more draw on a weak analog board and seem to hang like you describe. It's a pretty likely cause due to its age. Might want to replace capacitors on the analog board if you open it up.

well it happend after i upgraded firmware. actually it was 4.19 but the mac os 9 installed 3.0. after that i used to use it all days. =\
The mac os 8 is the cd that came along with the computer. its mac os 8.5 and the mac os 9.0 is the other one i have

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.