imac g3 disk partitioning problems. please help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by auto123, Jul 20, 2008.

1. auto123 macrumors member

auto123

so it's that iMac g3 again. I would like to know how to partition the hard drive without a bootable cd or any external drives

is it possible?

ipartition (demo) says that I cant partition my hard drive if I boot off of it, but I have nothing else that I can boot off of.

so what are my options?
    (hdd = fireball 40 gb)

2. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

im thinkin no i tried many things before for an imac g3, the only thing that would is bootcamp but like its in leopard and for intel macs so i dont think you are able to, might i ask why do u need a partiton?

3. auto123 thread starter macrumors member

auto123

so I can also have os 9 (linux would be cool too)

have a copy on the way :)

:edit: I found out how boot camp can be installed on g3 imacs, but would it still partition my drive or do nothing at all?

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i could actually check cause im on a g4 with leopard, but weird thing i dont think i partitoned my drive on my imac g3 while using panther and dualbooting so u might not have to all depends. oh it doesnt have it on so i cant say so probably not and plus it has a kernal panic the first time and the gb u partitoned is lost so i wouldnt recommend it, u should have grabbed a copy of tiger. or panther what u prefer

5. auto123 thread starter macrumors member

auto123

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i dont see why u wouldnt get tiger but o well do u have the dvd or cds?

7. auto123 thread starter macrumors member

auto123

the computer didnt come with any cd's... I bought it used (and just f'd up my mp3 trying to make a backup)
    not happy right now:mad:

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

oh man this happened to me many of times and yea i can tell u it will really piss u off if u lose everything me like 10gb of music at one time so yea i would invest in a panther dvd or tiger which ever you like cause you cant to much without a bootable dvd or cd