iMac G3 DV dvd problem.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by customisbetter, Oct 4, 2008.

1. customisbetter macrumors member

I just bought another G3 imac off craigslist. Its rockin' so far but i tried to play any type of DVD and it spits it back out. Whats the deal? System profiler says i have
    MATSHITACD-ROM SR-8184CD:

Model: MATSHITACD-ROM SR-8184CD
    Revision: AA0A
    Serial Number:
    Drive Type: CD-ROM/DVD-ROM
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 1
    Socket Type: Internal

Any suggestions?
    I am running 10.3.9 now btw. thanks.

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

My first reaction is "shoot the Matshita drive". There are numerous posts about their failures.

However, go to Sys Profiler, click ATA, see what media types are supported by that particular drive and compare with what you're putting into the drive. What puzzles me about the specs you've provided are that the Model says CD-ROM whereas the Drive Type states CD-ROM/DVD-ROM. So which is it?

Next, there may be an issue with the ATA connecting cable inside the iMac. You may need to open up the iMac and fiddle about inside. Plenty of How To on YouTube "Take Apart iMac'.

3. customisbetter thread starter macrumors member

The above post was a copy and paste of system profiler. On the bottom of the machine it says "CD" not DVD and i did purchase this from a school so it might be one of the uber cheap 500s they sold back in hte day. I will rip it apart again and check the cables.

Another question, i didn't update the firmware before i installed 10.3. The system profiler says i have 4.1.7F4, not 4.1.9.
    Should i upgrade it now? Maybe thats causing the dvd problem?