iMac G3 DV how much would you pay..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GermanyChris, Aug 29, 2013.

1. GermanyChris, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

There's been a G3 iMac on local Bookoo for a couple months the guy wants $75 I was thinking of offering him $25. I don't need the computer but (it needs a home before he decides to put it in the trash)<---conjecture on my part

What would you pay?

Attached Files:

• imac.jpg
      imac.jpg
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
  2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Around the same price you are thinking of offering. Nothing more than that though.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The $75 he wants it way to much, I'd offer the $25 you are thinking of at the most. I got one for free a few years ago, so that makes me think you probably shouldn't pay much.

4. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I honestly would not pay more than $50 for any PowerPC Mac unless it's a Power Mac G4, Dual 1.25GHz+ (I wouldn't pay more than $100, I paid $60 for mine) or a Power Mac G5, where I wouldn't pay more than $250.

Ask him if he'll settle for $25 or $50. If he says the price is non-negotiable, then he'll only take $75.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

6. gooser macrumors 6502

i'll go against the grain here. i don't think $75 is too much to spend on ANY computer if you want it and it's in good shape. i have a 600mhz imac in my office that i use for a stupid os 9 game that i sometimes play that plays best in 800 x 600 resolution. i also play some music in os 9 through itunes. i like the machine because of the low resolution and the fact that mine is completely quiet. i have the machine on maybe an hour a week. do i need it? no way but it's fun to fart around with it sometimes. i would pay $75 for another one just to stick in my closet to replace the one i have if it dies or i need to raid one for parts. i also have a couple of os 9 accounting programs i use and it's the only computer i have that's hooked up to a printer for when i need to write a letter with appleworks. i don't even have the internet hooked up to it. but for what i use it for, it will never become obsolete.

7. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

So I sent him the $25 offer last night and haven't heard from him so I guess there is no Tiger iMac in my future

8. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I have been watching iMac G3s from time to time on Ebay and depending on colour and condition they go from 50-150EUR (if you are in Germany at the moment, when buying). But personally I would still wait for a good luck buy, an auction that ends around/under 20,-EUR.
    - It will most likely be the dark blue ("indigo") or the blueberry (torquoise), but be sure to get the DV one, with Firewire, there was a later "indigo" DV-model only with USB, and the early blueberry coloured had USB only, too. But I think you could distinguish them by their 350MHz). -
    Maybe with personal pickup near you. The state were you currently live and Nordrhein-Westfalen and Berlin come up very often as locations of Macs.
    If it's the grey one (graphite) you want, especially, they often end around 50,-EUR, but can be had for 30,-EUR, too, if you have time.

Do you have a special Processor speed you want in the grey one or does it just have to be an iMac G3 DV (or any colour?)?

I already have a lime one, for years, so maybe this is the reason I would only give 20,-EUR for it. If I would be searching for one now, maybe I would give more, but on the other hand I am a cheapskate, too, so....

9. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

This is on the American side so everything's in dollars.

I was thinking of getting it because it's been posted for a couple months at $75. I honestly just don't want to see it go in the trash, I don't even know what I'd do with it if I got it.

10. RedCroissant Suspended

Is it your desire to have a PPC iMac that runs Tiger, or just have an iMac that runs tiger? If it's just to run Tiger, find any iMac up to the mid 2007 aluminum model and put Tiger on there. In fact, there are some 2007 model iMacs going for not much more than what that crazy person is asking for their imac and at least with the 2007 model you can partition the HDD and have multiple OSes on there thanks to its awesome level of OS support.

----------

Could you post a link to the ad? I just want to see what this seller is offering for that price tag.

11. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

http://stuttgart.bookoo.com/i/38116393

I desire not to see this go in the trash..nothing more

12. RedCroissant Suspended

If that keeps popping up on Bookoo and you don't want it to go in the trash, then offer more or simply pay the seller what they want. But you're going to get something that not only won't go in the trash, but that you most likely won't be able to use. So it might not be going in the trash, but the end result is similar.

Or you could buy it, then buy a keyboard, a retail version of the OS(unless you can find the original installation discs), then max out the RAM, and then donate it to someone that needs any kind of computer.

Or see if any computer retailer will give you anything as far as trade in or value for recycling(doubtful but might be fun and interesting).

13. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have retail Tiger, any number of Apple mice and keyboards and probably the applicable RAM and I'm sure I have 100GB PATA dive around here..

Parts and OS I got..75 seems a bit rich though, that's why I was asking.

14. RedCroissant Suspended

$75 is VERY rich. In my area, that machine is going for no more than $30. And that's usually including at least the keyboard.

If anything, add a comment to your offer telling the seller that you think $75 is unreasonable and would be willing to offer no more than $40. State your reasons as well. No OS disc, no box, no manual, low RAM, small capacity HDD, no keyboard...etc. If they go up to $50 after that, then I would say that since you have all the necessary parts that you could justify spending that much. It's just that at 500MHz, even Tiger is not going to be very zippy.

I have an iBook G4 that I was once very pleased with and now use sparingly thanks to the boost I experienced with my PM G5. And I got that for $200(with 23" ACD, keyboard, mouse, retail 10.4.3 disc, and original manual). So that's another reason why I think $75 for that particular machine is unreasonable.

Yes it was a special edition [in 2000], but it's not very special now.

15. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I would pay $75 if it's a computer I really wanted....Sometimes you have to overpay to add ones to your collection.

I'm kinda in same stance myself right now...there's a mint ibook G3 (with original book,cd's ect) that I'm working on deal for...craigs buyer is stuck on more then it's worth...and looks like I'm gonna have to pay up.

16. RedCroissant Suspended

How much are they asking?

17. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

$100...trying to get down to $50ish

18. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Sorry, OP..

I guess my (almost finished) masters in economics shows here, but what you pay for a product which no longer is readily available (is no commodity) is more strongly dependent on your preference and wallet than what others were ready to pay.

Thus, unless you are in it looking for a deal (and you seem not to be), it has very little to do with what that item would be worth for anyone else, and has everything to do with how much that item is worth to you (relative to your liquidity).

I would not pay 75 for that, but that's because I neither have an income, nor any emotional attachment to the G3 iMac.

RGDS,

19. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I paid ten for mine. Same model, better condition. Guess it depends on where you are and who the seller is.

20. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I thought you might be willing to look into Ebay, too, hence the EUR prices.

But, if it is not a must have for you, I understand your point. In this case, I would gamble and try, if the person would accept the 25,-USD in the long run, if just long enough no one has been willing to spend 75,-USD.

21. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I'm thinking $25. They make awesome OS 9 machines if you need something like that.