iMac G3 Ethernet problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tdhurst, May 15, 2007.

1. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay, here's a weird one. I've got a 400mhz G3 iMac with an after market hard drive, running 512 ram. Never had any problems with it until now.

It can't connect to the internet. Safari can't find the page, mail won't get mail, etc.

Steps taken so far:

Rebooted
    Used ethernet cable on different computer (worked fine)
    Reset all the TCP/IP settings

Weird things...
    When I go to the Network pane in sys prefs, ALL the correct lights are green.
    It's getting an IP address
    None of the other computers in the house (two connected wirelessly, two connected via ethernet, two macs and two pcs) have any problems.

Any advice?

2. bodisaffa1 macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem see post
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=304809

I am baffled now and dont know what to do!!!
    just one thing like you I have reset the TCP/IP settings, should there be anything in the "router" and "dns" and "subnet" boxes in the TCP/IP settings?? because at the moment all I have is IP address etc??? thanks

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Maybe a modem problem? Maybe give it some time. Turn off the modem and try again. Shut down and turn off all the power and try again.

4. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Need more information... What IP address is it getting? Does it start with 169.x.x.x? Is it set to get an address via DHCP? Is it behind a router? Is the router set up to give it an address via DHCP? Is the Mac's MAC address in the router's allow list if you are using one? Do you have any other computers connected to the Internet through the router and can those access the Internet? Can they access the Mac? Can the Mac access them?