Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juggernaut1987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Dear Macheads,

Today I got 2 free iMac G3's. A Ruby 450mhz and a Blueberry 400mhz, both from around the year 2000.

The previous owner used the machines and then stored them in the attic, then in working order, for about 3 years now. He is moving so he decided to sell them. Upon inspection both machines arent powering on anymore so he gave them to me free of charge. Both machines make a popping sound and you can hear the CRT tube firing up but then nothing happens. No chime, no grey, nothing at all. My working G3 makes this popping sound but then switches on the harddrive and shows the grey splash screen etc.

To try and get both machines working I used a working power cable and power socket and Apple's Service Source iMac G3 manual for troubleshooting.

Step 1: Swap ram around with a working G3.
Step 2: Was to test the logic board for trickle voltage. It had trickle voltage.
Step 3: Testing DCO on the logic board. The DCO voltage was correct.
Step 4: Check the battery, replaced it with a working one. Reset the PMU.

To me this says that on both machines the PAV is working, if im not mistaking that is, because the voltages are correct on plugged in Idle state.
What I havent done yet is testing the Power/Analog board fuse.
Could it still be that the PAV board is fried? To me it sound unlikely that in one household 2 macs die of a broken PAV.

If anyone has suggestion of what else to try please let me know :)
For now im using the 2 macs, with a sheet of glass on top, as a coffeetable but it would be nice If I can get both machines working again.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Dear Macheads,

Today I got 2 free iMac G3's. A Ruby 450mhz and a Blueberry 400mhz, both from around the year 2000.

The previous owner used the machines and then stored them in the attic, then in working order, for about 3 years now. He is moving so he decided to sell them. Upon inspection both machines arent powering on anymore so he gave them to me free of charge. Both machines make a popping sound and you can hear the CRT tube firing up but then nothing happens. No chime, no grey, nothing at all. My working G3 makes this popping sound but then switches on the harddrive and shows the grey splash screen etc.

To try and get both machines working I used a working power cable and power socket and Apple's Service Source iMac G3 manual for troubleshooting.

Step 1: Swap ram around with a working G3.
Step 2: Was to test the logic board for trickle voltage. It had trickle voltage.
Step 3: Testing DCO on the logic board. The DCO voltage was correct.
Step 4: Check the battery, replaced it with a working one. Reset the PMU.

To me this says that on both machines the PAV is working, if im not mistaking that is, because the voltages are correct on plugged in Idle state.
What I havent done yet is testing the Power/Analog board fuse.
Could it still be that the PAV board is fried? To me it sound unlikely that in one household 2 macs die of a broken PAV.

If anyone has suggestion of what else to try please let me know :)
For now im using the 2 macs, with a sheet of glass on top, as a coffeetable but it would be nice If I can get both machines working again.

My guess is if the attic was hot it made some of the capacitor's go bad in the iMac's. when i bought the iMac lot (Search bought 31 iMac g3's if you want to see the thread) I also had one that the crt came on and stayed on but not the rest that one turned out to be a bad logic board. If i wear you i would just look for a working one, you can more than likely find one for $20 or less and you will save your self a big headache:)

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
My guess is if the attic was hot it made some of the capacitor's go bad in the iMac's. when i bought the iMac lot (Search bought 31 iMac g3's if you want to see the thread) I also had one that the crt came on and stayed on but not the rest that one turned out to be a bad logic board. If i wear you i would just look for a working one, you can more than likely find one for $20 or less and you will save your self a big headache:)

Heck if you lived near me I would give you one.

Juggernaut1987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks guys. I picked them both up to use as a table anyway (will post a picture soon, need to pick up a custom made glass sheet tomorrow).
It would have been nice if they both where working though :(
That they both have the same problems is what is weird to me. Ill tinker a bit more tonight.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks guys. I picked them both up to use as a table anyway (will post a picture soon, need to pick up a custom made glass sheet tomorrow).
It would have been nice if they both where working though :(
That they both have the same problems is what is weird to me. Ill tinker a bit more tonight.

The iMac G3s did have power problems. A lot of time it was related to bad cords, in my experience. They have VGA out, have you tried that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.