Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

that1crzywhtguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
So I will do my best to include as much useful detail while keeping this brief. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I recently acquired a lovely graphite g3 700mhz. When I got it home, it booted into OS9 and worked. I thought I would try booting into osx just to see how that worked. It booted into osx once, I set things up, all fine. Then when I rebooted, everything went to heck. It gave me a bunch of command line error stuff, and wouldn't boot. I figured the install must have been corrupted.

I attempted to boot from USB (through open firmware) to install os9 or osx again with no luck. It always spit out ", checksum error ok 0 >". So I tried burning CDs instead and booting the install discs. Same error. If I boot without open firmware it just hangs.

I tried resetting PRAM, before and then again after replacing the PRAM battery.

Still the same issues.

What is likely the culprit, and what else can I try? Bad Ram? Something more serious on the logic board?

I'm no stranger to electronics repair, so it wouldn't put me off if I needed to hunt down some issues on the logic board, I just have no idea where to begin!

Thanks again for any help or advice!

Cheers-
SF

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Consider my experience here:

It could be the HDD

Reactions: bobesch

that1crzywhtguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
My experience with macs is limited, but I'm surprised to hear a dead hdd would stop it from booting from Disc. It's worth trying to swap at least. I'll look into it.

that1crzywhtguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
Is this the time to upgrade to a ssd? Is there anything I need to know about going that route? Any advice would be great! ?

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Is this the time to upgrade to a ssd? Is there anything I need to know about going that route? Any advice would be great! ?

Take a look at my thread here where I upgraded an iMac G3 to an SSD after its HDD had failed. Anything will provide better performance than the likely stock (and mediocre) HDD that your computer currently has. :)

I attempted to boot from USB (through open firmware) to install os9 or osx again with no luck. It always spit out ", checksum error ok 0 >".

Try holding down the Option key when you power-on the iMac and see if it will boot that way. Mine doesn't require Open Firmware for USB booting and yours might be configured the same. ;)

that1crzywhtguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
Try holding down the Option key when you power-on the iMac and see if it will boot that way. Mine doesn't require Open Firmware for USB booting and yours might be configured the same. ;)
Sadly I tried that, and it didn't work. No option to boot from USB, and booting from Disc didn't work there either.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This is the first and only mac I've ever owned. ?
Oh, sorry for that bad start into the world of old Macs.
Anyway - welcome to the PPC-comunity!
Did You try to boot into TargetDiskMode? (hold "T" while booting). It bypasses booting from HDD/optical drive and You should be able to see a blue or black-colored screensaver with a big moving FireWire-logo. If you are happy to succeed, then you need a friend's Mac and try to get access to the iMacs internal HDD/optical-drive through FireWire-cable.
If You're able to read the iMacs optical-drive, then the iMac probably is ok. If You can access the HDD too, then the HDD might be ok as well (otherwise removal/replacement of the HDD will be possibly the next step, as @Dronecatcher already mentioned.)
Given, the HDD is working, then try to get os9.x from Macintoshgarden, burn a CD and try to boot from the optical drive in order to recover files from the HDD to an external USB-drive and after that erase the HDD and reinstall os9 as the first step ...
Good luck!

that1crzywhtguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
Oh, sorry for that bad start into the world of old Macs.
Anyway - welcome to the PPC-comunity!
Did You try to boot into TargetDiskMode? (hold "T" while booting). It bypasses booting from HDD/optical drive and You should be able to see a blue or black-colored screensaver with a big moving FireWire-logo. If you are happy to succeed, then you need a friend's Mac and try to get access to the iMacs internal HDD/optical-drive through FireWire-cable.
If You're able to read the iMacs optical-drive, then the iMac probably is ok. If You can access the HDD too, then the HDD might be ok as well (otherwise removal/replacement of the HDD will be possibly the next step, as @Dronecatcher already mentioned.)
Given, the HDD is working, then try to get os9.x from Macintoshgarden, burn a CD and try to boot from the optical drive in order to recover files from the HDD to an external USB-drive and after that erase the HDD and reinstall os9 as the first step ...
Good luck!
Sadly I know nobody with a Mac that has firewire. I was able to access the USB and optical from open firmware, I just couldn't boot from them successfully, always getting the aforementioned error.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
It’s either the RAM or hard drive. OS 9 isn’t as picky about things as X, and that’s why it boots into 9 but not 10.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Sadly I know nobody with a Mac that has firewire. I was able to access the USB and optical from open firmware, I just couldn't boot from them successfully, always getting the aforementioned error.
Well, then maybe let go the idea of booting from USB but instead go burning a CD with os9 an see what happens, when trying to boot it ... (early PPC might be picky about booting from USB while booting is fine through optical drive or FireWire-connected drives. An optical FW-drive and and FW-HDD-case are kind of SwissArmy-knifes for any PPC)
If You're successful, then You're able check the internal drive, recover stuff to a USB-drive and "initialise" (erase/partition) the HDD.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
(early PPC might be picky about booting from USB while booting is fine through optical drive or FireWire-connected drives. An optical FW-drive and and FW-HDD-case are kind of SwissArmy-knifes for any PPC)

My iMac G3 is an even earlier PPC model than the OPs machine but it boots from USB flawlessly - and without the need to use Open Firmware. This is why I was curious about the process behind creating the USB installer as perhaps something was overlooked regarding the configuration - this can happen with USB installers for Intel Macs much less.

Completely agree about the FireWire route though: much faster than USB 1.1 and with greater flexibility and functionality.

that1crzywhtguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
It’s either the RAM or hard drive. OS 9 isn’t as picky about things as X, and that’s why it boots into 9 but not 10.
Like I said, it doesn't boot into anything. It used to boot into 9, but currently it boots into nothing.
Well, then maybe let go the idea of booting from USB but instead go burning a CD with os9 an see what happens, when trying to boot it ... (early PPC might be picky about booting from USB while booting is fine through optical drive or FireWire-connected drives. An optical FW-drive and and FW-HDD-case are kind of SwissArmy-knifes for any PPC)
If You're successful, then You're able check the internal drive, recover stuff to a USB-drive and "initialise" (erase/partition) the HDD.
Unfortunately, like I said I have tried many times booting from cd, via open firmware, booting from cd direct, and from the boot manager. It doesn't work. Via open firmware same error as USB, and from the other two methods it just hangs.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Then your hard drive is dead. Both of those happened to my 700 G3 so I kind of figure it’s one of those two.

that1crzywhtguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
Then your hard drive is dead. Both of those happened to my 700 G3 so I kind of figure it’s one of those two.
I hope it's indeed that simple as I planned on eventually upgrading to ssd anyway!

I'll report back after I've done the swap. ?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I hope it's indeed that simple as I planned on eventually upgrading to ssd anyway!

I'll report back after I've done the swap. ?
Take care using the right IDE-SATA-Converter and preformatting the SSD with HFS and first partion below 128GB.
(Maybe only 8GB for the first partition might be mandatory).

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Take care using the right IDE-SATA-Converter and preformatting the SSD with HFS and first partion below 128GB.
(Maybe only 8GB for the first partition might be mandatory).

Those iMacs don’t have the 8 GB limit for the OS. They do have the 128 GB limit.

that1crzywhtguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
So here is the update! Spoiler, it's not good news. :(

So I removed the old HDD and added the SSD via SATA to IDE converter. Upon trying to boot from my install discs... It wouldn't boot. I tried turning on while holding option, and I couldn't get to boot manager. Then I tried to get into open firmware, and bupkiss. Then I tried resetting pram, also didn't work... Odd...

So I left it on for a while, and when I returned to it.... It let me reset the pram...good, odd, but good. Then I was able to get into the boot manager, and it saw my install discs, but when I tried to boot from them, it didn't happen. When I tried the osx disc however, it did get to the next screen, with the little mac dude. It still didn't boot however.

So then I tried going into open firmware to see if it would behave like it did pre hdd swap. And it sure did. Tried booting from my USB, and checksum error. Tried booting from my install discs and checksum error.

Obviously something non HDD related is going on, right?

I turned it off again for a while, but then I thought...try one more time. Again I couldn't boot into the boot manager, open firmware, or reset the pram. Once it had been left on for about 15 minutes, as before, then I was able to do those things again. Strange. Like it needed to be warm to detect the keyboard?

I'm super stuck, and at this point, regretting buying a classic mac to have "fun" with. This isn't fun.... But I'm stubborn, and once it's fixed, maybe I'll think it's fun again. :)

Again, any help is DEEPLY appreciated. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.