Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
My friend just gave me his old iMac G3 that was taking up closet space. It came with a newer style keyboard(all white), Non hockey puck style mouse, all the system discs and the power cord. (and the G3 of course :D )

I started it up but it would not load past a big apple in the screen. Plus the keyboard is not working. It will not eject a disc or turn caps on or off.

Also what can I do to this machine so I can use it in everyday life. Im hoping to upgrade what ever I can ( Hard drive, ram, add wireless, and a newer version OS)

It was free so im willing to spend at least 300$ to get this baby up to par of my dark side machine ( 3 year old Viao)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
My friend just gave me his old iMac G3 that was taking up closet space. It came with a newer style keyboard(all white), Non hockey puck style mouse, all the system discs and the power cord. (and the G3 of course :D )

I started it up but it would not load past a big apple in the screen. Plus the keyboard is not working. It will not eject a disc or turn caps on or off.

Also what can I do to this machine so I can use it in everyday life. Im hoping to upgrade what ever I can ( Hard drive, ram, add wireless, and a newer version OS)

It was free so im willing to spend at least 300$ to get this baby up to par of my dark side machine ( 3 year old Viao)

It is only worth it if it is a slot load iMac, not a tray load (where the cd goes in.)

It sounds like a dead hard drive. You have to take off the case and pop it out. I just did this for the first time, not a big deal.

Then drop two 512mb sticks into it. Your ram will be maxed out at one gig. make sure you put a 7200rpm drive in it. You can also make sure you at least have a dvd/cd drive in there. Nice to have the dvd drive for software.

This should only cost you about 200 bucks, maybe 250 if you need or want an internal dvd drive. If you can find the 168pin 133 or 100 pc ram cheaper, great. A 120gb 7200 hard drive is the biggest you can put in there.

I've done this before and the old iMac g3 workhorses still plug along like champs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.