imac g3 help..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aero86, Oct 18, 2008.

1. aero86 macrumors newbie

i know its not as cool as everyone else's new imacs, but i got a killer deal on one with 0sx, so i picked it up. i was wondering, any way of upgrading one? and also, looks like the ram can be up'ed as well, but what kind?

2. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Hi! I just purchased one on ebay too for 60 BUCKS!
    it has:

OS X 10.4
    DVD
    40GB HDD
    512MB RAM
    400MHZ processor

this is my first mac but i will be getting a new macbook around christmas.
    i have learned that the memory can be upped to two sticks of 512MB 133MHz (1GB) and thats it, but for that machine, that is amazing bc some new computer still come with 1GB. Also, if i remember correctly the hard drive can only except up to 120GB?? i think.. and if it doesnt have a dvd drive you can pick one up on ebay for around 20 bucks. I watched some vids of how to install it ANYONE could, it so easy...lastly if it doesnt have wi-fi (airport) built in you can pick up one of the adapters with it on ebay for around 40 bucks and it installs right inside... im pretty sure you can only do this with the slot loading g3's not the tray loading original ones...anyway, hope i helped. GOOD LUCK.

3. ickystay macrumors regular

A good site to check out old macs is LowEndMac.

Click "Mac Profiles" in the little menu bar, then figure out which is your specific machine.

If you buy ram, make sure it is low density. HD can be 120Gb max.

I have a 600 that I keep in our guest room as a DVD player.