imac g3 keyboard f-keys

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mufngruf, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mufngruf macrumors member

I've dug my old 400 DV SE out of mothballs to use to transfer video tapes with an eyetv box. I've upped the memory to 1GB, tossed the hockey puck and so far so good... but I can't remember the uses of the function keys on this old keyboard (2452). I don't really need them, but now my curiosity is piqued. I'm running Tiger. Anyone know what the fkeys do?

2. shrakner macrumors member

Hmm, we still have our old 400 MHz DV SE in the garage- nice machine. :)

As far as I remember, the Function keys are there for whatever you or an application wants them to do. I don't think there's any predefined keys like on newer Mac keyboards, but in OS 9 you could configure the keys as shortcuts for stuff- I think that's what I did back in the day. But in Tiger, you should be able to set the keys for Exposé and other stuff- check the Keyboard pref pane and then the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

How does that machine run Tiger with 1 GB of RAM? Before we retired it, my family was using it with Panther and 256 MB, iirc, and it ran pretty well.

3. mufngruf thread starter macrumors member

dv se with tiger

Actually, it's running pretty darn well - I'm not trying to be "light and magic" with it but it's working fine to transfer these old video tapes, since I don't interfere with it while it's doing that.
    It's running 10.4.11 and I transfer the finished recording to my bigger mac for editing and conversion.
    I solved the keyboard prob by installing Spark and just designating Fkeys myself. I guess I could also try hooking up a more modern KB, eh?
    Y'know, it's awfully cold in your garage....