iMac G3 mod

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WinXPGeek, Dec 20, 2013.

1. WinXPGeek, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

WinXPGeek macrumors newbie

Hi, all. I am planning on modding a iMac G3 DV+ that i got at a yard sale for $10, cause when i got it i found that the CRT was dead, So im planning on replacing the CRT with a LCD that i am thinking about buying, But i dont know if its possible cause i dont know whether the CRT uses a Apple video cable, or if it uses a weird propriatary cable, And i would like to know BEFORE i buy the monitor and crack open the mac, And i want to keep the PSU, mobo, drives, etc.
    EDIT: Sorry, i meant $5.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's some weird thing. The signals are VGA, but the connection is not. I do not know of any successful slot loading G3 iMac conversions that retain the original logicboard and non-CRT internals.

3. WinXPGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying so fast! And im trying to make this mod the least destructive as possible. Are there any adapters available for the cable? Or at least any pinouts?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No adapters exist. A pin out might, don't recall seeing one at this time.

5. WinXPGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, I found some pinouts.

----------

And what i am going to do is get the LCD, then strip to a bare LCD, then find a way to mount it in the faceplate of the iMac, then put it in and attach the AC on the monitor to the AC port on the iMac, Then make my own video cable to attach the LCD to the iMac.

6. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

In my opinion, it is nearly pointless to do so. Why would you destroy the "vintage" value of a machine, only to end up with the same (really slow) machine, only with less authenticity? If I were you, I'd throw a mac mini or PC MiniITX board inside of there, and have a really nice quick little machine in a baller case...

7. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Have you seen the Mac Minis in Macintosh SE shells? Its a pretty awesome 'mod'. Similar idea to what you had in mind. http://apptree.net/macsex.htm

8. WinXPGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Did i forget to mention that im on a really tight budget?

9. WinXPGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Besides, im on a very tight budget so i can't buy a mac mini or a pc mobo to put in it(i bought the whole computer for $5), and its my only computer(its hooked up to a external monitor right now), And its current mobo is fast enough for me right now.

----------

So, Sorry for sounding a bit rude, but i just really want to replace the screen in my iMac.

10. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

A long time ago I saw a mod, where someone put G3 inerts in a square xbox case (i think) and rewired the VGA. I can't find it, but I found this:

iMac G3 rewired to adapt an LCD http://www.mactech.com/2005/09/01/eyemac-g3-lcd

But I actually remember different LCD mods (one with a Samsung Syncmaster Display) where a) the VGA-out of the iMac G4 Board was just put inside and b) the VGA was rewired. Do an extended search on google!
    Search for iMac G3 LCD

you might have to do some work on the PSU?
    This is something about the wiring in general and especially the PSU note ppost #18 http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/project-classic-mac-gameing-box-in-a-xbox-360-case