iMac G3 Need help with OS install

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by MeatLoaf, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeatLoaf macrumors newbie

what is the easiest way to install an OS on a g3 iMac that has a gui.

The g3 currently has nothing on the hard drive I took it out and formatted it due to not being able to boot almost any thing because Debian installed yaboot boot loader and it would give me the same error for almost every disk except for other linux distros

I would prefer to be running just os 9.2 but I am very open to linux distros iv been through just about every single walk through I can with no luck tried to install ubuntu and got the cli-powerpc version installed but with no network so I couldn't get any kind of gui I am not a mac person and the past two days has just given me about 100,000 more reasons why to stay away from them in the future please help me change my mind.

Yes I do run windows as my main OS but I don't care to get caught up in the "My OS is better than yours" B.S. I believe in the right tool for the right application in my case I needed a nice simple all in one pc to sit on my coffee table that can just run a web browser for basic web browsing.

2. seb-opp macrumors 6502

you haven't really asked a question there, that was just a statement! :p

What do you want to know? Have you already got a Mac OS to install? Or do you need help choosing one?

3. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get 9.2 installed and I recently reformatted the hard drive to get rid of all of the left over stuff from a failed Debian install because I believed it to be the reason for many of the disks I was tried no to boot just kept getting the same error now that the drive is formatted I cannot get it to boot from cd at all and I get the finder face/question mark on the folder saying it cannot find system files I guess.

my main question being what is the easiest way to have an installed running os with a gui.

iv also herd something along the lines of 9.2 being able for download but nothing higher I am no stranger to sites for distributing files of questionable legality but I cannot find a copy of 9.2 that I can seem to get working iv tried burning the .dmg and iv tried converting the .dmg to .iso by changing the .dmg to .iso and using programs such as dmg2iso and ultra iso both with seemingly no luck I just don't know if I am burning it rite and if what I am burning is even usable in the first-place being as my main pc is running windows 7

4. California macrumors 68040

California

It's difficult to understand your questions/statements because of all the Windoze/gui/Linux talk.

(Would make a funny Mac vs PC commercial, though!)

Anyway, you need to tell us the revision of the iMac G3 you have.

Is it the non Firewire iMac 233/266/333mhz versions that has a tray load cd drive?

Is it the non Firewire iMac 350 that has a slot load drive ?

Is it the firewire iMac 400/450/500/600/700mhz version with a slot load?

I have two or three original sets of iMac G3 install discs, and others on MR probably do, too. Let us know what you are talking about. iMac G3s with firewire could install both OS9 and OS 10

5. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a slot loading "blueberry" with two firewire ports I can get a picture of the lable on the bottom if it would help. it has 64MB of ram and a PowerPC 750 (G3) 400 MHz

Here is the pic I was talking about.

Sorry in advance for the poor image quality I was rushing to take the picture.

[​IMG]

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

HD With question mark usually means that the HD is bad, or has bad sectors. I would triple check the drive in question, try & swap the drive with a known good drive.

7. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

there is no HD with a question mark its the finder face/question mark it switches between them and its on a folder I am sure most of you know what I am talking about. I am fairly sure that the hard drive is not bad it formatted fine with out a problem I just formatted it to NTFS not so much to change the format I just formatted to make sure it was 100% clean and clear and the winxp machine I had it plugged into did the normal diskchk after the winxp load screen and from what I know what bad sectors it may have found if any where repaired.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The picture helps, and we understand what hardware you have, now, but I'm still fairly lost. This iMac can run OS 9 or it can run 10.x, although you would want more RAM for that.

Do you have any install CDs or DVDs for MacOS -- either OS X or OS 9?

Or did you delete MacOS at some previous point, and are you asking how to do this without having any install discs?

(And most of us don't know what you're talking about... you've got an 8-year-old Mac, trying to install a 10 year old OS on it, and you're not speaking in complete sentences. :p But also I'll move you to Apple Collectors, where more people using machines of that vintage hang out... maybe they can help?)

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Trying to answer your original question...

OS 9.2 will run very well on that machine, but if you're wanting to use it for internet browsing, you're going to find out the lack of modern browsers for OS 9 is crippling.

You can put Panther or Tiger on, which both run decently if you have plenty of RAM, ie. hopefully 1GB if not at least 768 MB. Tiger has the advantage if still being able to run most software.

If you're wanting to put Linux on the thing, then search google for someone who has gone through the process and will give you step-by-step instructions on exactly how to do it. If its possible to do, you should be able to find out how that way.

10. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

the previous install was OS 9.2 but I could not login at all because it was previously in a library and it was setup for netlogin so me in my infinite wisdom decided to just go ahead and wipe the drive during an install of ubuntu.

I have no disks at all for this mac or any other mac for that matter as I said I'm a windows guy.

11. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

well it has 64MB of ram and iv tried every imaginable google term to try and find a walk through of howto get linux running and working on the g3 all with no luck.

and trust me when I say every one of them I mean it about 85% of the stuff I end up viewing on the internet I paste it into google to find more about it.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple made an older version of MacOS (7.5) freely available, but IIRC they haven't made system 9 available. Your options, as far as I know...

- Try installing a Linux variant again
    - Purchase OS 9 or find someone who has an old disc give you
    - Purchase OS X -- probably 10.3, although, as mentioned above, not on 64MB of memory.

And why not please stop saying over and over again how you're a Windows guy and this is all the Mac world's fault... how is it any different? If I brought you a Pentium 150 with a blank hard drive and no system discs, you wouldn't be able to do anything either, right? It seems to me that it's the same.

13. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

because with a keyboard, bios, and a copy of windows theres no way I couldn't end up with something installed and usable there are no worries about if I have the rite disk there is no question about if its going to boot or not it ether works or doesn't work its just a little frustrating to me to me that I don't have any thing to look at computer side to try and figure out why I can't do what I want to do on a mac all I get even when it was running 9.2 was a flash on the screen and then it would start loading 9.2 unlike a windows pc you get a nice fancy post screen that tells you every thing is installed and working and you have the option to change system setting directly at the hardware level its simple and it works with out a problem.

and also I never blamed the mac I just find it to be a little ridiculous that I cannot get any copy of OS that meet the system requirments for this iMac burn a disk with any program I want any way I want and at any speed I want and have it turn out in working order you know I find it to be very funny aswell that mac being they make the hardware and the OS that any disk will not work unlike with a pc if I have any copy of windows or linux and the pc meets the hardware requirements I can end up with a usable system. but like I said I am not a my OS is better than your OS person its all about the rite tool for the application and for this application I need a simple all in one desktop for guests to use simple seems to be the worst word to be using now for this entire process but I am sure when its done I will be very happy with my new iMac.

14. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

the same thing exists on the iMac, it's called open firmware. but that's not going to help you get it running at this point.

you need an OS disk. Mac OS or Linux are the two that would work for that machine. buy/beg/borrow a CD copy of 10.3, or download the last version of Linux for the PPC HERE and it's in .ISO form, so you as a windows guy should have no problem getting that on a cd... :cool:

with either OS, you will need at least 256mb to have a useful machine. memory first, OS install after.

have the same (g3/400) machine that my kids use everyday. best of luck.

15. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

witch one of the tons of shortcut key combos opens that before the boot?

Also dose any one have any recommendations about being able to just burn my own copy of 9.2? I'm not asking where to get it just how I might go about burning a .toast or .dmg and what speed to make sure the end result is bootable disk in my iMac

16. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

Boot into open Firmware ............................... CMD-OPT-O-F

THIS list might be a good place to start if you really want to learn.

if not, ignore the open firmware thing (which won't help you at this point) and just find some memory and download 6.10.

17. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

so basicly this iMac is useless? unless I get more ram for it, witch I am not even going to bother wasting money on, I'd rather just sell it for $25 and not waste my time not only trying to find such out dated hardware, I'm not going to pay the outrageous price that who ever is selling it thinks its worth. because by the time I did so I could have gotten a crappy pc with the same or better specs and installed linux in about 30 mins.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Honestly, with an iMac G3/400, unless you were a collector who had some serious love for the iMacs? That's exactly what I would recommend....

19. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

the memory requirements for 6.10 are the same no matter which architecture you are installing on, so no, that's not a true statement. 64mb is useless in any box.

20. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

That is where you are wrong,

I have had 7.04 running on a computer with a 350mhz celaron and 64MB of ram gui and all.

and 64MB is not useless in any box because the minimum ram requirements for win xp is 64MB their by meaning if i had a desktop of the same specs as this iMac I have the option for xp or a light linux distro

21. Kristenn macrumors 6502

If I was 18 I would buy it from you. I already have a g3 iMac with 128 MB ram and Mac OS 9.2 but I have a os 9 disk I could use I think. I would buy it if my mom would let me... and she probably wont. But.. I would try putting Mac os 7 or something on... since its free.

22. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Let me correct myself, The FOLDER With the question mark means that There is a HD problem, USUALLY A DEAD or DYING HD.
    I would diagnose the drive. & replace it with a known good one.
    Actually, I would buy a Mac that's worth a s&%t, instead of complaining about a decade plus old model, but that's just me, I like to get some production done.....

23. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

It can also mean a corrupted directory structure or missing operating system.

Since this machine only has 64MB RAM, your options are:

Check how many sticks of RAM it physically has (clean and re-seat them - there may be more than 64MB).

Make sure the Boot ROM is v4.1.9 (since MacOS X v10.2 or later can corrupt the video settings simply by booting from a CD). :eek:

If your Boot ROM is older than say v2.4 then you'll need to get MacOS 9 onto it first since the firmware updater doesn't run in OSX. :(

MacOS 10.3 or later would be what I'd aim for if you want reasonable web browser compatibility. You really need at least 512MB RAM to begin seeing the real speed of the machine. Use PC100 or PC133 SDRAM DIMMS.

Flash video just isn't going to cut it on a 400Mhz G3. But if that doesn't bother you then it should be fine. :)

24. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no hard drive problem.... it didn't start this till I formatted the drive and I checked the disk health a few hours ago and it checked out fine.

25. MeatLoaf thread starter macrumors newbie

I was starting to loose all hope till you came along. your the first person the give me some options unlike every one els who just keeps telling tons of junk I don't need to know.

There is only 1 stick of 64MB PC100 iv already had the entire bottom of it off just to get to the hard drive and when I was in there I was checking to see what kind of ram it was ie speed,pin, and size

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.