imac g3 need parts........ question too

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacHappytjg, Apr 13, 2008.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

does anyone know if i can put a different motherboard in my iMac g3 350? it came with a 350 and i want to know if i can put anything bigger in it and want something bigger if i can aslong as it has firewire even a 400 and i also need a dvd rom drive for imac g3 slot load

2. Queso macrumors G4

Yep. The 350MHz slot load will take up to a 700MHz G3 logic board, but they are very rare as the model was canned by Apple in favour of the iMac G4. You should be able to pick up a 500MHz one quite easily, which has twice the VRAM and a later version of the G3 processor that contains full-speed Layer 2 cache. If you're just after the Firewire upgrade, this will do you.

Saying that, you should be able to pick up an entire 600MHz G3 iMac with DVD combo drive for next to nothing. They only come in white or graphite though.

3. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yea im on that link for ebay myself but i dont really want to buy another imac cause i wont know what to do with my current one since i dont know of any recyclers where i live at the moment and since i have 640mb of ramand a 60gb hdd for it just yea if i get a firewire one i wont need a dvd cause ill install the os of a diff computer

4. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

but i saw on a different site that i need to sawp the anologe board and graphic thing is this nessary... uhm i might not fix my imac im getting my money advanced to me by my mom lol and she will get me this emac g4 700 which is more than i expected adn picking it up referb for 199 cdn with 10.3 and orginal 10.2 discs but will put 10.4 on it :D