iMac G3 OS reinstall

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LeoTheLion89, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i have a iMac G3 333 Rev D. in 2009 Panther crashed so in 2010 i went to reinstall OS X on it and the CD Drive wouldnt read the CD tried to eject the drive jammed i had to destroy the CD Drive to get the disc out well i finally decided to get the parts needed to bring it back to life. it did come with OS 8.6 when i got it i dont have a use for it but i want OS X 9.2.2 installed so when i upgrade to OS X itll have Classic Mode. Should i first install 8.6 upgrade to 9.2.2 than to OS X? i want best preformance and im not sure if ill get the from upgrading the original OS or just do a fresh install of 9.2.2? also is the iMac capabile of booting a regular Laptop IDE DVD Drive? do you need a DVD Decoder card to play dvds on the iMac as you did with the B&W G3s?

2. farmhillbob macrumors newbie

iMac G3 OS reinstall

On this issue, I had a imac g3 333 mhz and had 8.6 on it. To upgrade up to os x , I had to update the imac firmware (download from apple support) and run that first keeping a paper clip handy. Once completed, then do a fresh clean install of 9.2.2 after partitioning the hard drive. The first 8gb of space is dedicated to the os x if you want to install that and the rest would be for os 9. I found a copy of os x 10.3 on cd at a place called MacPro in San Jose, CA i think. They were able to help me out a great deal on this issue.

hope this helps

i have a iMac G3 333 Rev D. in 2009 Panther crashed so in 2010 i went to reinstall OS X on it and the CD Drive wouldnt read the CD tried to eject the drive jammed i had to destroy the CD Drive to get the disc out well i finally decided to get the parts needed to bring it back to life. it did come with OS 8.6 when i got it i dont have a use for it but i want OS X 9.2.2 installed so when i upgrade to OS X itll have Classic Mode. Should i first install 8.6 upgrade to 9.2.2 than to OS X? i want best preformance and im not sure if ill get the from upgrading the original OS or just do a fresh install of 9.2.2? also is the iMac capabile of booting a regular Laptop IDE DVD Drive? do you need a DVD Decoder card to play dvds on the iMac as you did with the B&W G3s?