iMac G3 problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dijsss, May 8, 2013.

1. Dijsss macrumors newbie

Hello,

My old iMac doesn't boot anymore, and wont boot from any installation disks. It does turn on, but there is no chime. Then it displays a grey screen, and after that a white screen and a few seconds later the well known folder with a question mark in it. I've tried booting with OS 9, 10.2 and 10.3. Does someone know how to fix this.

Thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Did you try to startup while holding the Option key, it will get you into the boot manager where you can choose the disk to start from.
    It could be that the System is not blessed so it does not know from which disk to boot from.
    You could also startup in Single User Mode (Command-S), it then should automatically repair the drive if needed or you can type the text below.

fsck -y
    Hit Enter.

3. wordsworth macrumors regular

Do you routinely keep the iMac plugged into the mains and with power getting to it consistently, even when the computer is shut down. Or do you only use it intermittently, switching it on and off at the mains between booting it?

If the latter, then it's entirely possible that the battery needs replaced. If for example, you latterly booted up the iMac and found that the date and time had defaulted to an inaccurate setting, then that would confirm that the battery is failing or has failed.

It is my understanding that when you keep a power supply to the iMac G3, then the battery lasts longer. If the iMac experiences a period of non-use, unplugged, then it relies entirely on the battery to maintain the integrity of data such as date and time, and other, more significant information.

I have a PowerBook Duo 2300c that won't boot now because the battery is dead. That's the only thing preventing it from powering up.

However, the fact that you can get so far as to get some screen image suggests it may be a different problem with your machine. The previous post offers useful suggestions.

4. Dijsss thread starter macrumors newbie

The boot manager shows nothing, and Command-S doesn't work either :(

----------

It has been unplugged for a long time, but i can't see the time as the computer won't boot. But because it does show the question mark macintosh, i think that the battery is not the problem

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hmm, maybe your HD has died, if this is the case nothing shows up in the boot manager.

Odd Command-S is not working.

6. Dijsss thread starter macrumors newbie

That could be it then. But now that i think about it, i used that harddrive in a Windows machine a while ago, so it might be NTFS. Is that why it doesn't show up?

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, there it is, if it is NTFS it won't show up in the boot manager, you have to install an OS onto it first, and format the drive.

8. Dijsss thread starter macrumors newbie

With a Windows pc?

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Noooo, you can't format and install OS X on a windows computer, you need to first format it on the Mac and then install OS X, you can do both from an Installer disk.
    But, I think you also have problems with the optical drive, that will make it much harder.

10. Dijsss thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant formatting in Gparted or something :)
    So i need a new optical drive

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can actually format a drive in Windows but you need 3rd party software, I think MacDrive has a trail, it will allow you to format the drive in HFS+ format, BUT, why should you, you need to install OS X on it and when you do you also have Disk Utility on the Installer Disk so there is no real need to do this on a Windows computer.

12. Dijsss thread starter macrumors newbie

But i still need an optical drive

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Depends, if your iMac came with Firewire AND you have another Mac you might not need one since you can install an OS on the iMac remotely or share the CD/DVD from the good Mac with an optical drive.
    You'll also need a FireWire Cable for this to work.

If you don't have these you can get cheap external CD/DVD drives on Ebay.

14. Dijsss thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, then i have to buy an old firewire cd drive :( thanks for the help!

15. computerstar macrumors newbie

G3

Try to use the original disks that came with the machine. Your optical disk drive may be the problem.

Apart from that your operating system or hard drive has problems too.

16. Mac Write macrumors member

Actually you don't need a Firewire CD drive. If you have another Mac with Firewire what you can do it plug the two computers together using the Firewire cable and then after you hear the chime on the iMac G3, press and hold the command T or T until you see the Firewire logo. Now your iMac is in Target Disk mode. It should now show up on the Mac you have the firewire connected to as an external Hard Drive. Now just format it in Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities) and then install OS X onto it using the Optical drive of the other Mac and select the Firewire drive which is your iMac G3.