imac G3 Project!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mayhone1, May 26, 2011.

1. mayhone1 macrumors regular

I am interested in buying an old iMac 3G, love the colors and how they look. Not a problem because you can find them anywhere, but what would be a good model to get and upgrade as a project, I do want an DVD drive if possible. :apple:

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Depends on how you want to upgrade it. Many of them ship with DVD drives as standard. The 350mhz model was CD drive only, and a couple of the later models (600-700mhz) came with CD-RW's instead of DVD drives. Take a look at www.apple-history.com to see which models came with what drive.

I would recommend staying away from any of the tray loading models.

3. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

If you look hard enough I'm sure you can find a processor upgrade one of them.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Slot loading G3 iMacs don't have processor upgrades. The CPU is soldered on to the logic board. The older tray loading G3's do have an upgradable processor, but the fastest is only 333Mhz.

5. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I have a blueberry iMac that I plan on ripping everything out, putting in a new screen, get some glass cut to make it look cathode like and put a modern computer in it, or I might just take the shape of an iMac G3 and extrapolate it to 20"+ and put a full computer in it

6. Codpeace macrumors member

Please, post pictures. Many of us will put them up on the bulletin board next to Jeebus and Machu Picchu. Great idea!

7. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Sonnet G3 tray loading upgrade goes up to 600Mhz and adds a firewire port.
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/harmoni_g3.htm

FastMac 550Mhz G4 upgrade for slot loader.
    http://fastmac.com/imacslot.php

8. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Actually on second thought I might make it larger than 20" so I can stuff a Mac Pro in there (in pieces of course