iMac G3 questions (ghost harddrive)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iMacKid, Mar 16, 2010.

1. iMacKid macrumors newbie

Hello all. I (along with a few others) were given iMac G3s. We had to pick blindly, without turning them on. Some got better ones than others, but they all had OS 9 on them. Because of this, most of my friends quit. One of my friends gave his old one to me. I already had one with 266 MHz CPU, and 160 MB of ram (I know right?). Anyways, i took parts from his, and have successfully upgraded it with a better videochip, CPU chip, and of course, ram. I am now standing at 256 MBs of ram, and 333 MHz of CPU. I am also running 10.3.9. HURRAY! Well, kind of. Another one of my friends apparently got a better iMac than all of us, with a bigger hard drive. he is going to give it to me, but here is what i want to do... I want to take his harddrive, so i have more room, but also keep all of my stuff that i have on my computer now (such as the OS X and other apps i have downloaded--you guys get what i mean). How should i do this? my dad said something about ghosting the harddrive? im not too sure.. he isnt too familier with macs, and neither am i. i would like to get my imac to perform as well as it can with the tools i have.. can anybody help me out here? thanks!

:apple:

2. California macrumors 68040

California

That was a lot of work for the imac 333mhz, without firewire.

But they do work forever, so, good for you.

Find out of your friend got the later machine with the bigger hard drive with firewire or not.

I'd trade with him.

Outside of that, I can't remember, but I think Carbon Copy Cloner will clone your hard drive to his through usb.

But not sure if you can download it all in Panther anymore, you will at least need Tiger 10.4 on that machine, it will run okay, I've done it.

Without firewire, or a dvd drive, those old iMacs are difficult to upgrade.

You will also have to partition the first eight gigs of hard drive space for your start up OS, if you get a hard drive over 10 gigs in size.

With two partitions, you can go up to 120 gigs of hard drive. I've done it with an 80 gig hd in a 233mhz iMac.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The whole "ghost" thing is Norton Ghost right? that's probably what he meant but for the PC side. SuperDuper! works on Panther but I've only used it in 10.4/10.5/10.6

Best way to do this is with an external USB hard drive enclosure. Just put the larger hard drive into the enclosure and hook it up to your iMac. Run disk utility to partition and format the larger hard drive as mentioned above. Once that's done copying, just swap the hard drive out of the enclosure and into your iMac. :)

4. iMacKid thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for your replys guys. I just checked out SuperDuper! and it looks fairly easy to use.. I just have a quick newbie question... From your mac how do you tell how big your hard drive is? is that the L2 Cache in system profiler? thanks :p

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I don't think your iMac hard drive is 512kb or whatever that size cache was on the iMac G3s :p.

Click on your hard drive that's on your desktop and select "get info" from the File drop down menu in the top left menu bar. It will tell you the size of your hard drive, how much free space you have etc.

Or if you like keyboard shortcuts, highlight the hard drive and "Command:)apple:/⌘) and ""I"".

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

no the L2 cache is processor related and another story :)

but you already found the blue apple on the top left corner and "about this mac" right:confused:
    good when the window pops up telling you bout which os you run and what processor speed and how much ram you got in there .....click on "more info "....on the window that pops up now you see in the right Hardware and in the left the basic info
    now just click under Hardware in the left section "ATA" and it should show you 2 drives , one is your cd rom the other your harddrive , to get info about them just click on one of them hope i confused you more then i am now ;) :confused:

the easier way to get the info about the harddrive , depending what mouse you got if you got a pc mouse just right click , on a apple mouse just click and click "ctrl" on the macintosh harddrive , which should be on the right on top of your desktop and select "get info" and a window should pop up telling you what you need to know about the drive

7. iMacKid thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, back from school... So, i just realized that i have a 4 (four) gig harddrive. Oh my. Anyways, i only have like 612 MB left--upgrade? lol
    im going to contact my friend and find out how much ram and how big his harddrive is. does anyone know how to check this info in OS 9? same deal? I will get back to you guys on the specs and then look into using SuperDuper. it seems fairly easy to use!
    :) thanks for all of your replys by the way. Much appreciated!!