Imac G3 rather loud.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Oct 16, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings MacRumors!

I have a rather loud issue. I have a Tangerine Imac G3/400Mhz. Model Identifier (PowerMac 2,1).
    It has:
    400Mhz G3
    1gb RAM (2x 512mb)
    80Gb hard drive
    DVD Rom

The issue is, i have it dual booting OSX 10.4.11 and OS 9.2. And in OS9 the volume is ALWAYS too LOUD even on the lowest setting. I once had the same issue in OSX Jaguar 10.2.8, but after the firmware update and a new hard drive OSX no longer has that issue. Ive tried to turn down the main volume in 0S 9.2 but even the lowest is quite loud. Its rather annoying. Im playing sim City 2000 and its annoying loud. Even though i have no idea how to play the game because im loosing money and people are leaving. Not sure how to fix public transport either. there are no buses haha

2. WalnutSpice macrumors 6502

WalnutSpice

Do you have an amp / receiver? If so I'd just plug it into that and control the volume with those. Not an actual fix, but it'd get the job done.

3. Xandros macrumors regular

Hmm, OS 9 should have three volume controls on your iMac; one for the main system volume, the other two for the speakers (left and right) accessible in the sound control panel. I often found when I had volume issues it was because the left and right speaker volumes had been set to max somehow or other. A long shot but you never know.

Btw, are you dual booting from the same partition? I did have a similar problem with the sound level nearly blowing my head off when booting my MDD with 10.5 and OS 9 though I can't remember if I ever fixed it, I've got a feeling I didn't but I seem to recall someone telling me it was because I was booting both off the same partition.

4. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I have 2 partitions on the hard disk. Dont remember the sizes but i installed os 9.2 on the first one and then 104.11 on the second. and as for the individual speaker sliders i tried that too but no avail.

5. Xandros macrumors regular

Well like I say I don't really remember much about that and whoever told me about it might have been speaking out of their rear end of course since I never tried two partitions.

Have you tried trashing the sound preferences file in OS 9 (then restart)?