Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gohome190

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
I'd like to try running Ubuntu (6.06) on my G3 400 imac. Is there a tutorial on how to do this? Or... at least ow do i get to boot mode? I'm running OSX.

Thanks

gohome190

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Well... I hold down the C key with the Ubuntu live CD in. It doesn't do anything; just boots to OSX. Ummm... ideas?

the7dwarfs

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
You need to keep hold of the C key while the computer boots to tell it to boot from the CD. Also are you sure you have a power pc version of Ubuntu?

gohome190

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
ohhh! I was using the windows CD! I thought it was all the same! How dumb... Can you get the power pc download from ubuntu.com?

I feel dumb. I should have known when i saw that ".exe" file.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I just got done installing xubuntu on a B&W Powermac g3, and it wasn't that easy.

If holding down C doesn't work (like it didn't for me) you will have to go into Open Firmware and boot from the CD from there.

When the computer is first booting up, hold down Apple+Option+O+F

then type

boot cd:,\\yaboot

then type "install" at the prompt.

Be careful not to delete your Mac OS partition. I didn't have to worry about this because mine is just a linux box.

gohome190

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
So, will I have to partition my hard drive before I install Ubuntu? Or will there be an option to do it during the installation?

thanks

gohome190

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Okay, I got to the open firmware screen. Yet when I type "boot cd:,\\yaboot" I get a "LOAD-SIZE is too small".

Umm... can anyone help?

Thanks... again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.