Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeatIbiza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Leeds, UK
Hi everyone,

I've just been given an iMac G3 in Bondi Blue. Unfortunately it has a problem with the screen.

What happens is, I plug the machine in, then press the power button, the button lights up green, you can hear the fan and hard drive, and the usual Mac OS bootup sound plays. However, the screen stays completely blank. It doesn't do anything, just stays black. Although it makes the usual CRT screen startup sounds, which has confused me.

Any idea what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi everyone,

I've just been given an iMac G3 in Bondi Blue. Unfortunately it has a problem with the screen.

What happens is, I plug the machine in, then press the power button, the button lights up green, you can hear the fan and hard drive, and the usual Mac OS bootup sound plays. However, the screen stays completely blank. It doesn't do anything, just stays black. Although it makes the usual CRT screen startup sounds, which has confused me.

Any idea what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Check the connection to the PAV board. If this is a slot loader I think some models had a VGA port on the bottom. Try using an external monitor. If it doesn't have one or the VGA port doesn't work, then my money is on a blown PAV board.

SeatIbiza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Leeds, UK
Check the connection to the PAV board. If this is a slot loader I think some models had a VGA port on the bottom. Try using an external monitor. If it doesn't have one or the VGA port doesn't work, then my money is on a blown PAV board.

Hi, thanks for replying. It is indeed a slot loader. As I'm a complete novice when it comes to these things, how would I go about checking the connection to the PAV board? Is it an easy thing to do? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a VGA port.

And are PAV boards easily replaceable? Many thanks for the advice.

Joe

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Hi, thanks for replying. It is indeed a slot loader. As I'm a complete novice when it comes to these things, how would I go about checking the connection to the PAV board? Is it an easy thing to do? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a VGA port.

Joe

PAV boards are possibly the hardest parts to replace in the iMac G3, and because it is in the CRT housing, it is dangerous to access. I have an iMac G3 with a bad PAV board, only except I get no Mac startup chime when I turned mine on. The hard drive in mine wouldn't even spin up. I wouldn't try replacing the PAV board in mine.

Here's to hopes that it isn't your PAV board. Because yours makes the startup chime, I'm not so sure it could be the PAV board. Frankly, I don't know what could be causing the issue, it could be a number of things.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Joe

The VGA port is in a tricky location on iMac G3s. It is not located with the other ports on the side, rather, it is on the underside/back of the machine. I attached a picture that may help with this.

Attachments

• imacg3dvhd02.jpg
    imacg3dvhd02.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 378

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Joe

The connection would only come undone if it was serviced recently. It is in a position where it could not simply "come undone" by moving the Mac.

SeatIbiza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Leeds, UK
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies.

It sounds like I might have to look for another G3 instead, as it's sounding like this one has pretty much had it. Maybe I could take it somewhere to be repaired? Until then, it can just sit on the shelf looking pretty :eek:

It doesn't have a VGA port, so I'm guessing this is an earlier slot loader?

Thanks again for all your advice,

Joe

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies.

It sounds like I might have to look for another G3 instead, as it's sounding like this one has pretty much had it. Maybe I could take it somewhere to be repaired? Until then, it can just sit on the shelf looking pretty :eek:

It doesn't have a VGA port, so I'm guessing this is an earlier slot loader?

Thanks again for all your advice,

Joe

Most of the models 400 MHz+ had the VGA port. It sounds like the PAV board is blown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.