iMac G3 serious issue - Won't turn on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LOLZpersonok, Jan 2, 2014.

1. LOLZpersonok, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I have a 350MHz iMac G3 (Blueberry, slot-load) sometime back, probably about a year ago or so. Well, now, I've got an issue with it.

Today, I had it connected to my stereo and was listening to music, when all of a sudden, the screen went extremely fuzzy, like vertically long, horizontally short waves, and moving around like it would be a screensaver. Then, it shut off after about 3-5 seconds.

I tried to boot it again. The power light turned on, the screen degaussed but nothing happened. The hard drive didn't spin up and the screen stayed off. I tried blowing compressed air into the machine, but that did nothing. I turned it off and tried powering it back on a couple times, and a few times it shut off on its own after a few seconds.

So, I tried testing each memory stick, and once I tried starting it with the first memory module, it didn't even turn on. The power LED didn't turn on. I tried the other module, the same result. I tried resetting the PMU but nothing happened. It still does not turn on.

This has happened before, about 3-4 weeks ago, only except not as extreme. The screen went fuzzy in the same way for about 3-5 seconds and then it turned off. Only except I was able to start it back up right away and it ran fine after that.

Now, it simply won't turn on. Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm a moron. It wasn't plugged into the wall, which explains it not turning on. It does turn on, but the hard drive won't spin up, it won't make the Mac noise and it won't display anything on the screen or react to any buttons on the machine or keyboard being pressed.

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

First, I'd try inserting an OS X install disk of some sort and seeing if it will boot from that. If you don't have any, you can get some on eBay for pretty cheap. Another thing you could try is disconnecting and reconnecting the HD to see if that could be the issue. The iMac G3 is pretty simple to work on, all you have to worry about is the CRT stuff.

3. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Thanks for the response.

I have install disks for OS X 10.2 and OS 9 that I got with my Power Mac G4. It's running OS X 10.4.11, but those were borrowed disks and the person I borrowed them from is out on a trip to Los Angeles for a couple of months, so I can't use those.

I found that it's quite possible that the PAV board is bad, and I'm hoping it's not (Even if the symptoms are the same), because that's a very difficult and expensive fix, and I have no idea how to work behind an open CRT, and quite frankly, I'm not willing to do it.

But anyhow, I will try what you said, and I will send another reply with the results.

4. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

So, I tried what you suggested. Neither worked. It just acted the same when I powered it on again.

I tried inserting a disk, but the drive wouldn't suck the disk in to accept it, so I knew it wouldn't do anything. I wouldn't push the disk too far into the drive because I knew that I would not get the disk back if I did. I'd have to take apart the drive to get it.

5. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You COULD try removing both memory sticks, then power on (with no memory installed)
    If you get the series of error beeps that indicate "no memory installed", then put the memory back in place, and try again.
    Can you boot to Open Firmware (option-command-o-f)? If you get the black screen with text, then type reset-all, which should restart the iMac. Hold Option-command-P-R to try a PRAM reset. If you hear a boot chime, continue to hold the same 4 keys until you hear 2 more chimes, then release to let your iMac boot normally.
    If NONE of this helps, and it still does the same thing (not much), then it's P-A-V board.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am leaning towards the PAV board. However, try removing the bottom assembly and removing the power connection from the main logic board. Then hold the power button for 10 straight seconds. Then hold again for 5 and press it a couple more times. Reattach the logic board to the PSU, replace the bottom assembly, and try to start it. This may actually work.