iMac G3 Slot Loading not recognizing external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flipbitches, Aug 28, 2008.

1. flipbitches macrumors newbie

Hi to you all,

i have a small problem, my iMac G3 Slot Loading 350 MHz OSX 10.3.9(fresh install) won't recognize my LaCie external HD(500 GB HFS+) http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11050

I know there is a limitation for internal drives(128 GB), but is there also a limitation for external drives?

Didn't found any usefull answers searching google, but maybe that's my shortcoming..

thanks in advance

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It might help if you gave us a link with U.S language.

3. flipbitches thread starter macrumors newbie

4. flipbitches thread starter macrumors newbie

just edited my first post with the right link..
    didn't noticed it was in dutch.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

reset the pram and restart.

Firewire glitch. Play around with it.

6. flipbitches thread starter macrumors newbie

@california

firewire glitch, what do you mean?

7. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I can't help witht he problem, but there is no limit for external drives on that model iMac. So that is not the problem.

One problem you are going to have though is that your model iMac only comes with USB 1. Which means super slow speeds for transfers. Could be something with that that is causing the trouble, but I have no idea.

8. California macrumors 68040

California

Oops, I thought it was a firewire external... see it is a usb.

Check to make sure it is showing up in the system profiler.

Do the restart/pram reset and make sure it is plugged into the side of the machine. I believe the keyboard usb ports have less power than the ports on the machine.

If it is a usb 2.0 and comes with a power adapter, make sure that is plugged in as well.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Just so you know, the iMac G3 doesn't have USB 2.0, so if that's a requirement for your external, it shouldn't work. If it does, keep in mind USB 1.1 has a very slow transfer rate.

10. flipbitches thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it has usb 1.0 and it will be slow, thinking about putting in a 450MHZ G3 DV logicboard but thats for later..

for now i'd like to make simple file/itunes server, and for that purpose it would be nice if my hd is supported:D

In Disk Utility the disc is showing, but the partition is greyed out.. so i guess the HD is backward compatible and useable with usb 1.0 but not accepted by hard/software, and it isn't the size because the volume is right.

will try the reset pram thingy soon..

edit: the power adapter is connected(the disc is showing in DU, but not accessible )