iMac G3 software?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by DoghouseMike, Mar 7, 2011.

1. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Evening all,

I was messing around with logic on my MBP today, and my son (6, nearly 7) was well into it, and soon took over playing around and adding in instruments/loops/effects and loving it.
    In his room we have an old iMac G3, with a whopping 400MhZ processor and 512MB of RAM. Anyone got any recommendations for something similar that'll run on his machine? I know it's lacking the horsepower for a lot of the fancier effects, but once upon a time a 400Mhz G3 was cutting edge!
    The iMac is running 10.4, and classic, but I have the OS9 CD if running that natively will open up more options. I think I read somewhere that it was possible to trick garageband 1 into running, but not that quickly. I could rig up an external firewire drive if that's likely to make things any more useable.

Cheers for any input.
    Mike

2. California macrumors 68040

California

I have the original discs for that iMac g3 machine, and I have iLife 04 that I could sell you on CD. You also should look into maxing out ram and upgrading hard drive to either an 80gb 7200 rpm IDE/PATA hd or a 120gb. (That mac won't recognize more than 128gbs, but maxing out ram/hd will really speed it up.)